Animal Id Survey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wilbursmommy, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

Just got this in the mail. Never got one before and I've lived here 6 1/2 yrs. I got this paper called 2005 Agricultural Identification Survey. It's from the USDA. I just wonder if this is because of the Avian Flu scare. I've had animals the whole time I've lived here and I've never been asked about anything by anyone. I only have 2 acres. The paper says I have to respond by Dec 2, 2005. what do you all think of this?

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

What kind of questions are on it?? Maybe they are trying to do a sneaky thing through the back door on how to I.D. the animals. Those RFID tagging things they want to do.

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

pretty common for me. I've filled out quite a few of these questionnaires over the years. This is one of the main ways they come up with the statistics of how many cows in each state, how many chickens, what they are used for, profitable, etc etc.

4. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

I just checked the USDA website and Google and couldn't find anything on that title. I would guess there is a contact number on the form and I would call before doing anything else. And then I wouuld probably ignore it. LoL

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I got one of those Saturday, & I have been trying to decide what to do about it.
    It says it's from the "National Agricultural Statistics Service". Mine is also due Dec.2.
    It wants to know how many acres you have, what kind of crops you grow, what kinds of livestock & poultry & how many of each. Several questions about the poultry.
    It has an ID #. I wonder if it will be in the RFID chip later on when they force it on us.
    Edited to add:
    The return address is in Jeffersonville, IN.

6. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Throw it in the trash. What law requires you to comply with this???

7. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I got one of those a few years ago and called to ask about it. Seems the largest thing they can do to you is fine you $100. I tossed it and have tossed every one I have gotten since...... They show up about every 2-3 years. I decided that the questions that they asked were none of their business.
    Tana Mc

8. ebarj1098

ebarj1098 Active Member

Some folks I know got one of those about the same time the farm identification number thing started. They sent it in, thinking it wouldn't really affect them, they only had horses. A month later, they were "randomly" selected to have an agent personally come out to register their farm for them. The agent had another survey. Questions started with what and how many animals and moved on to who is your vet/farrier? Does he/she wear rubber gloves? Does he/she put plastic covers on shoes? How often to you have said vet/farrier out? Where do you take your horses? (I wasn't there, just what I was told!) Lots of questions that were a bit too personal for me anyway. NO thanks!

I don't know if the two things were related, but how else did they get their name?

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I'm thinking if they really want to know they can come do a door to door survey...that is if they believe the crazy GS dog won't tear them up and they can get the birds to sit still long enough to count them.

10. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

Yes, the return address is Jeffersonville, IN. Not sure what I should do about this. I've never considered these 2 acres a farm, just garden and have a few animals. I really don't like the idea of the government getting involved in my garden and a few chickens and bunnies. And what is RFID? Like I said, I've lived here 6 1/2 years and never got one of these surveys before. Only thing different I've done is had a sign out advertising fresh eggs for about the last year. Took it down a couple of months ago because fox killed so many of my chickens. (Finally trapped the fox! :clap: ) Haven't put the sign back up cuz only 15 layers left, but I do have about 30 pullets that should be laying in early spring.

Other thought, (hope I don't sound paranoid!) I believe that our purchases are tracked. I know this has happened to me because of things I've received in the mail. Companies could have only known it was me buying because I paid by check or debit. (I rarely carry cash) I just wonder if my purchases at the feed stores are tracked, to see if I have animals and what kind?

Just noticed, there is a website addy on the back of this survey; http://www.usda.gov/nass/ Also a toll-free # 1-888-424-7828

11. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I got one of these today!!! I was not real thrilled to see it. The only way I can figure they got my name was from ordering chicks from a hatchery maybe?? I have pretty much already decided it was tied to the NAIS thing, and DH asked if I was "tagged" because I had sent letters of protest. :D
    I have been considering tossing it myself.

I had just scanned this thing to post a picture of it on here, and see if anyone else had gotten one, got an answer before I posted!!!

I agree, it is nobody's blessed business what and how many of what I have!
    Pretty nosey survey, down to how much money have I made on the land....

12. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Mama Since your in tx. are you going for the ag exempt on your land?? My parents are on this property so I expect we'll be getting one soon.

13. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

No, not well,,,, ok, maybe I dont know! my mom still holds title to the land, as we are paying off the balance owed since dad died... It is filed as timber land as far as I know. Does that fall under ag exempt? But, it doesnt even have my name on it! (I dont think, unless mom did something I dont know about..)

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We have an ag exemption on our land. I assumed that was why we got one.
    I wonder if they are wanting to know where cows, poultry, sheep, etc. are located in case of avian flu or hoof & mouth disease, etc., to make it easy to find them when they want to come & kill them. Remember how they went around & killed hundreds of thousands of healthy cows in the UK with the excuse of wiping out Mad Cow disease? I think they killed most of the sheep in the UK, too, because of some sheep disease.
    I have an idea that if the govt. wants info, it isn't for my benefit.