animal feed bags, what to do with them?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

The animal food I buy comes in thick paper bags with just a little plastic lining on the inside. I tried composting them, but they aren't breaking down. I don't want to throw them in the trash. So, I've been folding them up and keeping them until I can figure out something else to do with them. Nothing's coming to mind. I tried peeling the plastic out but it wont' come out. How do I break these things down? :confused:

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

If you soaked them in water, would the paper separate from the plastic?

Alternatively, if you have some sort of recycling program where you live, can they be "blue bagged"? Sometimes the recycling places have ways to separate stuff apart that us normal humans don't have access to.

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

How about using them as "mulch" in your veggie patch. Or at least on the "paths" between the plants/rows to keep the weeds smothered out. I do that with the plastic bags off the peat moss I put in the veggie patch and the flower beds, then I throw straw over the top of the bags and the weeds don't stand a chance.

Could you make a slit up one side so the bag would open up a bit to form sort of an upside down "V" . . . /\ - like that - and use it to put over your plants/rows like "hot caps" in the spring and/or fall to protect them from frost etc. etc. etc.

MaryNY

4. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

Sometimes I use mine for trash can liners in the kitchen.

5. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I guess you can't really make a dress out of them eh?

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I bagged completed compost and stored it in the barn.

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I have refused to buy garbage bags for years and use grocery sacks instead. Since we use so much feed now, I utilize the feed bags for our kitchen trash; it works perfectly.

8. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

The prices they ask for garbage bags is ridicolus. I've seen some of the top brand name bags go for $7.99 for a box of 35 bags! And only to throw them out seems a waste. That and toilet paper. Although I am more apt to spend a bit more on softer tp.

9. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I use them to hold recyclables and drop them off. I also use them for the bottoms of lasagna gardens, but I don't think mine have plastic liners? I agree that they would make good pathway mulchers if that's the case. I did some pathways with feed bags, plastic bags that mulch and compost came in, and topped it with cypress mulch, two YEARS ago and they are still holding up.

hollym

10. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

We had a diaper genie for our daughter and it was at least $5 for a roll of plastic liners. I got rid of it because it was a waste and started using the plastic shopping bags to put dirty diapers in instead. They are also great for lining the small bathroom size waste baskets.
    A friend of mine had the heavy almost cloth or burlap feed bags she got and use to put horse manure in it and stack them for whoever wanted manure. I think using them as liners instead of the plastic bags might be the best use so far.

11. Sparticle

Holy Cow Batman, have my eyes been opened! I could use the bags for all these suggestions! I'm glad I held on to them and didn't chunk them out. I knew they'd be good for something. Now my brain is really thinking and I can apply what you guys said out here. Oh thank you so much.

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They also make good liners for poultry brooders. They peel right out when you go to dump the brooders out. (I use the big plastic tubs for brooders.)

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

oh kitchen trash.... and whatever else fits in it. a bale rope is just the right length to tie around it (under bottom over top and tie).

one of lifes little windfalls... feed bags and bale twine.

14. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Do they have a picture or a feed company logo on them? I have seen feed and flour sacks framed with old barn wood. they sell good at flea markets and craft fairs.

15. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

WE reuse our feed bags at the feed store. This saves us a few cents as we don't need new ones.

16. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I liked the dress idea...We use ours for garbage bags and holding rags in the shop.

17. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My dog gets some in her kennel to lay on...the chicks got some to poop on...I light fires with them in the woodstove...and pack kindlin' and junk wood for the cookstove from what falls off while splitting,all our cardboard gets stored for winter burning in them.....and at kidding time the babies go plop on them!

18. Sparticle

bahahaha

19. cortland

cortland New Member

Cloth ones I put animal excreatment (NOT DOG) and soak them in large barrels and make 'tea' for the plants

20. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

O.K. So what do you do with the strings that just zip right off if you are lucky, and drive you nuts if you get off to a bad start.

I save my strings. I used one string with an upholstry needle to make an old golf shirt and an old landing net frame, into a super duper chicken catcher. Works on turkeys too if they are very small. I now have a lot of strings left over. Any suggestions. :)