animal cruelty

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygirl26, Apr 30, 2004.

1. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

I know someone who has pygme goatsand doesn't take care of them the way they should be taken care of. Their hooves are undergrown and spongie, they need to be wormed and their pen is like a foot of packed down , nasty feces. The people have the money to pay someone to clean out the small pen area, but choose not to. I offered to help her trim the hooves, because I know how to, but she would have to help me by helping me hold them, but she refuses to. I have contacted the local humane society here in my town and they said that they are unable to do anything about it because it is in a different county, and that county has no humaine society. Does anyone know what I can do about this, because it makes me mad to see these goats in suck deplorable conditions.

2. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Hi countrygirl26
    I dont know if they can help or not, but you may want to contact DNR (Department of Natural Resources) in your government pages. Should be one listed for your state.
    Perhaps they can direct you on whom to talk to?
    best of luck.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

The Ag Extention Officer would probably know who to call.
    George

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you could call the sherriffs office and file a report, or try asking your local vet what they think of who you need to call.

5. Murdock

Murdock Member

Just call the police. Animal cruelty is a punishable offense, i.e. you can get arrested for it. The police will be able to handle it.

6. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

I know you want to do the right thing but beware of a backlash from them if they find out you reported them....It has been known to happen...

7. MOst counties have an animal control department. They are there to protect animals from people and people from animals.

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a similar situation here but it was two neglected donkeys. One could hardly walk from the over-grown hoofs---she preferred to lie down, thus not eating. When she came into heat, the male injured her terribly because she would not get up. Our county also doesn't have a humane society or animal control, but the local sherrif took pictures to a neighboring society that took pity and took over the case. The animals were rescued, put in foster care, received vetenary care, and recovered pretty well.

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Even here in the way down boonies of MO we got a Humane Society person to come from St.Louis on a horse neglect case. They have actively pursued it and the horses have been rescued. They were in such bad shape you could count their ribs from a passing car. No feed,ditch water...woman's live-in died and she just left them out to fend for themselves. You can always call your local police or sheriff. Doubt this woman knows who filed on her as we have alot of horse people in this area who would or could have. DEE

10. Cygnet

Cygnet Guest

Also, bear in mind that if they have food and water and shelter, it may not be considered abuse, by the legal definition. If standing in feces and having overgrown hooves was a crime, most dairies and feedlots would be out of business, at least in my state.

Sad, but true.

*shrug* People's definition of abuse vary. I have a coworker who refuses to speak to me and talks dirt behind my back because I raise and sell chickens -- she thinks if I'm raising more than I need for myself, then I'm an irresponsible breeder. (!)

I also got accosted once by a certified nutbag animal rights activist who suggested I SPAY and NEUTER my chickens rather than "allowing them to indiscriminately breed." SHe actually followed me from the feed store to the local farmer's market to yell at me -- I think she intended to follow me home, but lost patience when I stopped to shop. Neither of these people have ever seen my setup (thank goodness in the case of the nutbag, I hate to think of what she would have done if she'd known where I lived) and the coworker has never seen a live chicken in her life.

Leva

11. countrygirl26

The people I am talking about are related to me but we never visit them any more, because they are both drunks and if you try to tell them anything they get loud and lethargic and try to start arguments. They also have a turkey that they kept in a cage that was too small for it for too long and now the turkey can't walk. When you let it out of the pin it trys to walk but it cant hold up its own body weight. She has 5 pigme and 2 pigme cross goats in a pin about 8x 10 there is a small shed for them to go in but you cant get the door open or closed because of the animal waste. She has 1 -5 gal bucket for water and throws them their hay on the nasty ground to eat. Last summer she had more goats but 3 kids died. She has like 3 or 4 acres of woods. We tried to tell her to just put collars on them and chain them up to get some fresh grass etc, but she is too lazy. The last time I saw them some of them were missing big chunks of fur and they are always congested and snotty. She uses the excuse that she is getting too old to taShe isn't even 50 years old yet. Her problem is shes always too drunk to care.

The police in that county know her by name and they would rather not deal with her over something they said is so " petty".

12. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Usually the County Sheriffs office will go out and investigate. They can actually hire the nearest animal shelter and pay them with county funds. We have a TV station here in town that takes action on stories like this and most of the time someone comes to the rescue, whether it's the Humane Society or just private citizens.
    Have you offered to take the animals off her hands or would she let someone have them if she thought she didn't have to feed them any more?

I have no idea why people get animals if they don't want to take care of them. I sure hope you find someone that can help. :(

13. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I dont want to sound TOO opposing, sounds like these animals could use some help. But, they are NOT your animals. You admit they have food, water and shelter. It also sounds like you have access to these animals. I would suggest you offer to buy the animals, paying however much you think its worth to get them out from their current owner. If you cant, I suggest you offer to clean out their pen on a regular basis to your liking. You can also offer to 'visit' the animals often , and when you do, bring them the food you want them to have, and change their water etc, and maybe slip them a dose of oral wormer ($1 a dose round here).

If that fails, you should try to contact the authorities. Take some pictures ASAP. Get involved if you care, dont make trouble if you can help from it.

14. scarface

scarface Member

I have to agree with tsdave. If you have already contacted HUmane Society and the Sheriff and nobody will do anything it's probably up to you. Worm the poor things, clean out their shelter and pen and give them whatever care you can, provided you are able to. If this is beyond your abilities then that's the way it is. Sad but true. I actually went through similar situation with a neighbor and her children. She was total drunk but the authorities couldn't do anything. She would be too drunk to feed her kids or bathe them or make them do their homework or put them to bed at a reasonable hour. Ugly, horrible mess. I fed them, tutored them, made them do some chores in their yard, joked around with them, took them shopping for school clothes, whole bit. Eventually they all moved away. Kids are either in jail or the army and the mom is being supported by a church that is trying to help her through prayer and charity. She is still drinking. Lovely. Anyway, poor goats. Hope you can help them.

15. countrygirl26

We have offered to buy them from her and we do feed them on occassions when we are near there and we know no one is home. Last summer we went and purchased 50 bales of hay and hauled them with our truck to her h ouse. We got the moldy hay out and repplaced it with the new hay. In the process I was stung over 25 times by hornets on my feet and ancles. I had to go to the hospital and get shots. NOT A FUN DAY!! :waa: I called the humane society again today. I figure if I bug them maybe they will help out. She said they would get ahold of the animal controll in that county for me and they would give them my number to get ahold of me for questioning. Apparently she is not in health code or something. She lives in the country, but it is near a lake and she is not supposed to have anything considered livestock including chickens, pheasants, goats sheep cows etc. Maybe I can get something done in this matter. Even if someone would go talk to her that has the authority to take them from her and tell her that she needs to take better care of them and get them to a vet maybe she will... If nothing happens with the animal controll I am going to drop it and stop trying... It'll be out of my hands. Thanks for the replies.