animal abuse/neglect (rant)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Dec 14, 2005.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I was going to add this to someone else's thread...but whatever. I was at this flea market several months ago (during the summer), lots of rabbits and other small animals. Most of the animals there had water and were in the shade, but there was a couple of jokers who had cages crammed with grade rabbits sitting in the sun. No (or very little) shade, and no water. I checked on them later in the day, and they were showing signs of heat stroke. So I talked to the guy and got the rabbits water, but guess what? Same story next time! What should I do when it happens again? Be firm and bring back-up? Complain to the management or the ASPCA?

Even if you look at it purely from the standpoint of money, the guy would do much better selling stuff if he took better care of the animals! As it is, the only people who would buy them is people who feel sorry for the rabbits or people looking for the cheapest animals they can get. I would hate to see the flea market shut down--the folks who run it are really nice--but if stuff like this keeps going on, they are asking for the ASPCA to come in.

2. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Yeah! I woudl say bring it up with the managers....Thats what i would do. I feel the same way at some of these sales i go to...Its sad seeing lil pot bellied pigs in rolled wire cages...makes me sick...But..it happends..and we should just let it go...Thats my stance...Don't back down...fight till its right! Does this swap have guidelines they have to meet? I know this sale in IA i go to, they say water and feed, bedding in cages, rabbits need to turn freely..ect. Best of luck!
    AJ

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I think just about anything goes...although if you were to say something to the management, they might do something about it.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

That is HORRIBLE! I can NOT believe that people actually treat animals like that, I agree with SmokedCow fight till it's changed! That is so horrible. Good Luck, bye.

5. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I used to sell rabbits and small animals at the swaps and flea markets...then PETA came in because of an a**h*** like that and I quit!

Get the man's name and address, phone number, etc like you would if you were interested in buying some of his rabbits at a later date....then, forward that info on to PETA! Tell PETA what all you seen, but DO NOT tell them where it happened at...or they will go down there and start rouble for the good responsible folks selling their animals. The flea market is safe, the responsible sellers and buyers are left alone...and that bas**** is gone for good after PETA gets doen with him! :p

6. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

PETA????

Is that the people eating tasty animals?
    LOL I'm sorry I had to throw that in.
    Even though I eat rabbits I don't want them abused

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Man, Tarot Farm got it right. Get the address and forward it to all of the animal rights nutters. ASPCA will be up their ___ (fill it in) from now until they die. PETA will no doubt post the address on their website and the abusers will be flamed.

It seems a tad harsh, so try management first ;)

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Yep, I would have complained to whoever was managing the flea market as well. I've been to alot of auctions, I've seen some weird stuff but not animals baking in the sun.
    This isn't just about the seller making money but also the person who ownes the property making money. It makes EVERYONE look bad. Including farmers like us! Stuff like that should not be tolerated.

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

What really got me is that he could have made his rabbits much more comfortable if he'd given it some effort. Put a few less rabbits in the cage, put them in the SHADE, give them water and small frozen pop bottles. There's another place in area that the local ASPCA is trying to get shut down...and from how they described it in their newletter, it's even worse. So much for animal welfare laws! I feel that a lot of animal neglect/abuse cases are allowed to slide because no one complains about it...after all, the ASPCA can't be everywhere.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who allow their animals to breed like crazy, with no goal in mind besides "It would be FUN to have a litter" or "I can get RICH selling bunnies/puppies/kittens/etc." Then they don't provide adequate care, and try to unload the animals as cheap as they can. Not only does it hurt the animals, but it also hurts responsible breeders and pet owners. (Ever wonder why humane societies are so down on breeders?) There's a huge difference between a breeder and a RESPONSIBLE breeder.

ok, I'm done now. :(

edited to add:
    PETA--People Eating Tasty Animals: hey I'm a member then??? LOL

10. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I would tell the management of the market and threaten THEM with the SPCA. You'll see them clean things up fast enough the way things like that are put in the media anymore. You'd see "BIRD FLU AT LOCAL SALE" on TV so fast it would make your head spin. (They wouldn't care if you were talking about rabbits with heat stroke, rabbits aren't headline news).

If you went to SPCA you'd probably lose the market if a stink got started.

I'd never give anyone's name to PETA. Those people act like domestic terrorists some of the time.

Tell the manager and see what happens.

Jennifer

11. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

PETA is not going to leave ethical breeders alone. They dont believe any animal should be used for either meat or even as companions. This board is primarily about raising meat rabbits [other posts are allowed] but advocating PETA in any form is not. If there is an issue of humane treatment by all means notify proper authoirties but PETA is NOT a proper authority.
    Management would be a good place to start and if they dont correct it then the local humane society will investigate.

12. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I wasnt going to say anything but I was told it was abuse to leave bunnies outside. mine are happy and when I go outside and pick them up there bellys are warm. They have a nice shelter filled with hay and they dont act like there abused or neglected.

13. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Housing a rabbit outside is perfectly fine and not abusive if they have adequate shelter from the wind, cold, rain, heat, etc. Proper shelter, proper feed and fresh water [minmal watering twice a day] is the key.

14. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I agree. I think my rabbits are perfectly happy outside.

15. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL, I don't plan on calling PETA...those folks are nuts. I don't want to see this place shut down or subjected to "eco-terrorist" attacks. It's run as a fund-raiser for a high school band, for pete's sake. I doubt if the management even knows what some of the animal welfare laws are. The market rules don't list any specifics beyond something to the effect of abiding by the applicable laws.

16. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Well Rabbitgal ,, I would just bet if you go to the management and informed them of how the guy is treating his animals ,, :( ,, and that 'you' had already asked him yourself to give them decent care ,,,,

and how bad that looks for the place ,, :eek:

and that if 'anyone' reported it to the ASPCA ,, it might would cause trouble for them ,, :mad:

and that a nuty group like PETA might get told by some well intentioned person :eek: that thinks that guy was abuseing his animals and that didn't come to the management first like you are doing ,, trying to help them prevent a problem ,, before it comes up ,,

I'll just bet that they will be soo glad you came to them :D that they will either make the guy straighten up or not be allowed there any more ,,,

Tammy

and if that don't work :bash: report the guy for doing it and the group for allowing it to go on ,,, :grit:

17. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

hehehe...

How have the rest of you handled situations like that?

18. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

Carry a large stick! LOL

19. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am a first time bunny owner. My dd got a beautiful Netherland Dwarf female, she is the prettiest bunny in the world. At least that's what we tell her. She is a silver martin color. So pretty and soft.
    I had planned to move her into the barn for the winter. Winter's are VERY harsh in Zone 2. She is in a large hutch that has a large run and a 3 X 3 enclosed area. It is up on stilts.
    I am so amazed at how much this one lone little bunny LOVES to be outside. It doesn't matter how cold it is, she is outside. She only goes in to eat, drink, poop, or if it is raining. Subzero doesn't pfaze her at all! She loves to spring around in her run. And she eats snow!
    We want to get a male and breed her...after we build the run that has separate sections for everyone.

20. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

My rabbits really don't like coming indoors, especially in the winter. They like air conditioning though. :D

As long as your rabbtits are out of drafts and have access to fresh food and water, they're just fine outside. All that fuzzy fur isn't for nothing.