Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Put your numbers down on paper -- age of the animal, height, breed (or breeds of his sire and dam) and share the info and photo with your extension agent (who may, in turn, share it with other customers with similar animals, and be able to give you a proper estimate of this animal's weight). You might also share that info and the photo with the processor you're considering (IF that is what you're considering). That person might also be able to help you determine this animal's weight. The more information you have, the better the answer will be.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is 970. I can't guess for crap, but it's fun.
I think he's pushing 900 but like you, I ain't much at guessing. I would like to maintain his weight over winter. I believe it's doable I have plenty of hay for the cattle this year 👍

Is it true you are an Orchard Smith? I'm just getting started on a small orchard and with grafting. I did my first chip and T-Bud grafts on apples and peaches a week ago. I think the they all are looking good.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤🇺🇸

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
195 Posts
Indeed I am. I applaud your orchard work. It always seems like such an exotic venture, but going into it gradually as your skills build is a good way. Did you use grafting wax? I found that the electrical rubber compound tape that will mold to itself worked well for grafting, and it was much easier to work with than trying to maintain the best temperature on the wax. How about starting a separate thread? I'd like to keep up with what you're doing. My best to you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed I am. I applaud your orchard work. It always seems like such an exotic venture, but going into it gradually as your skills build is a good way. Did you use grafting wax? I found that the electrical rubber compound tape that will mold to itself worked well for grafting, and it was much easier to work with than trying to maintain the best temperature on the wax. How about starting a separate thread? I'd like to keep up with what you're doing. My best to you.
I used parfilm, what I learned is a biodegradable parfin wax strip although not very sticky. I'll start a new generic furit tree orchard thread. Being a Padawan learner, I have some questions. Maybe the new thread might be beneficial to some others here.

Thank You!

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
195 Posts
I used parfilm, what I learned is a biodegradable parfin wax strip although not very sticky. I'll start a new generic furit tree orchard thread. Being a Padawan learner, I have some questions. Maybe the new thread might be beneficial to some others here.

Thank You!

LOL. I'm no Jedi. I'm happy to share what I've learned, but never call me an authority.
I've already found the new thread. Thanks for starting it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Between 900 and 1,000 pounds
Days# per DayGainStartNow
240​
2​
480​
497​
977​
I think 2 lbs a day is might be a little aggressive for T-Bone. He's not near as productive as Brisket (Brangus steer). Brisket will eat anything including garlic scrapes growing by the fence row. I watched him do it 🙄

1 - 17 of 17 Posts