Angus slaughter question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by leaping leon, Jan 8, 2005.

1. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I was looking at a herd of angus today, and I wondered what the hump is like in a slaughtered Angus? It looks like the hump might have cartilage to make it stand up so high on the cows backs...so if anyone has slaughtered some angus, please tell me what the hump is made of: fat, muscle or gristle?

Just curious, your cows are safe from me.

Thanks.

2. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

HUMP? on an angus cow? NOT!
    Perchance those cows have a leetle Brahma in them?
    Here is a photo of a commercial angus cow with her calf. Is that what you saw today?
    Kes
    [​IMG]

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Many of the beef breeds have miraciously developed black purebreds even though there were no blacks in the breed when first introduced to the US. Black is a predominate color, and most angus crosses have more black on them than any other color. Brahmas puts the hump in their crossbreed offspring, even though their hair is black.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would guess that you were looking at a herd of brangus. I've never butchered a humped critter, but I've always wondered how they were put together.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Seeing you are from Florida I would say a brahma cross of some kind, lots of those there, they are built for warm weather.

6. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

I would agree with Tinknal, probably a Brangus, doesn't the hump in a Brahma have something to do with water retention ? These cows are supposed to be good for drought regions, and can survive with meager water available.

7. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

I read somewhere last week that the hump on a brahman is where they keep their fat reserves rather than the muscle marbling and overall body fat that the english breeds have. The article stated that the hump also helps these cattle regulate their body temperature in the heat.

I just searched the house (garbage) for the magazine article and it must have left the kitchen trash bin a few days ago...I thought I saw it in Progressive Farmer.

Kes