Angus/Jersey ??'s

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by WatchMeFly, Oct 20, 2005.

1. WatchMeFly

WatchMeFly Member

Anyone ever try an Angus/Jersey cross? How did it turn out?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We accidently had a Jersey/Angus heifer born to our Jersey cow, Blossom and my uncles Angus bull. She was a beautiful chocolate color with a red tinge. She turned out to be a very nice milk cow. She produced a little less milk than our full Jersey cows, but very nice udder and disposition. After her second freshening we sold her to a friend who is still using her in his beef herd. She must be almost 12 years old now and still going strong........

3. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Our AngusXJersey is very nice. You can see the Jersey in her, espeically like her hind quarter but she is a good milker and her calves do well.

4. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work out well. When I was growing up we had a Jersey that we used to get bred to a Hereford- really good calves.

Susie

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

nice looking calves havent bred her yet so dont know about the milk yet

6. Philip

Philip Philip

The Angus have a smaller calf at birth anyway so its easier than some crosses (such as Jersey/Friesian). We use Lowline (small Angus) AI'ed with our Jeseys and theres never any trouble

7. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

What about using the cross as a dual purpose by breeding her back to an angus? Good millking mother and a beefy baby.

8. goldspur

goldspur Well-Known Member

What a pretty looking gal, love her color, good bag. Thanks for the picture.

9. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Jersey/Lowline angus, first calf heifer that we like. Fuel efficient at only 45 inches tall. With little grain, she's giving a couple gallons a day, but we just take a gallon or less and let the calf have the rest. Bred her to a small polled hereford, and calf is very beefy.

We had a Jersey cow, but too much milk for our family of four, and we didn't want the trouble of selling it. And high producers have more health problems - mastitis, milk fever, etc. If I had a large family, instead of one Jersey, I'd have two angus/Jersey cross cows, and have them calve at different times for more constant milk supply.

Angus crosses also eliminate the unpleasant chore of dehorning.

Crossbreeds are generally healthier.

Seems like the way to go to me.