Angus Heifer Question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by TSYORK, Apr 15, 2006.

1. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

I purchasing an Angus Heifer from a frind we go to church with. She has quoted me 500.00. The heifer probably weighs 550-600 lbs. She beautiful and healthy. Also, the friend has agreed to breed her back in August for me. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

Well that depends on your local prices which I but she seems kind of small to be breeding so soon. Even for an angus they have to reach a weight of 800-900 before they come into heat. And is the bull she will be bred to her father?

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

.......sounds like you have a good friend........................................

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

That is a fair transaction. The heifer would bring that at a livestock sale now. By August she will be large enough to breed and should have a calf as a 2 year old heifer. My commercial Angus heifers will cycle when weighing 700 to 750. I expect a heifer to have a calf by her second birthday. Other breeds that I have had will not mature and calve by their 2nd birthday. IMHO there is no way a late maturing breed (3 year old calving) heifer can make up for the difference.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I believe research has shown a cow calving at three rather than two will average one additional calf more over her lifespan and be a larger and healthier cow to boot. However, most cow don't die of old age.

I have bred some to calve as twos and some as threes. But then a bull coming through a fence sometimes makes the decision for you. Depends on the heifer. Don't recall pulling a calf from a three-year old first calver, but have pulled some from two-year olds.

Had to pull a calf a couple of days ago. BIG two-year old heifer but a BIG bull calf also. Normally once you pull out the head and shoulders the calf drops out. This one I have to pull all the way out.

6. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

Last May I bought 9 Angus heifers 12 - 15 months old weighing 550 -650 lbs
    each from a friend for $600. apiece. In July a bull went thru a fence to
    service 2 of these young ladies against my wishs. Well, the other day a
    heifer calf was born and praise God all went well. I am watching the other
    heifer as her time is drawing near. The other 7 will be bred this July. That is
    if another bull doesn't have other ideas.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I do buy calving ease bulls and rarely have a heifer that encounters problems calving. Faith Farm, if all 9 heifers had gotten bred back last July you would have enough feeder calves to sell at weaning to fully recover your investment and still have cows that will calf on the same schedule as the remaining 7! I have not noticed the cows getting "burned out" from early calving, I possess a good number of rather old cows which are still producing. I have been reluctant to cull producing cows with the price feeder calves have been returning. Everything I read says the price is headed to the downside unfortunately. If I was smart, I should/would liquidate the herd

8. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

I think that sounds like a very fair deal. As long as the bull is one that has easily born calves, it shouldn't be a problem breeding her to calve at 2.
    My Hereford heifer just calved at 23 months no problem, b/w of calf was 66 pounds. She was bred to a Murray grey. Small calf I know, but seems to be growing like a weed. I was worried because the heifer's birthwieght was 90 pounds. This year I may breed her to a calving ease red angus (AI)

If you don't breed her, you'll be waiting a LONG time for that calf. Again, If her nutrition is adequate, there should be no problem breeding her to calve at 2.

Susie

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I love Murray Greys!!! We used to buy Murray Grey/Holstien hiefer calves from a dairy and raise them as bottle calves. They were beautiful. That was in Ohio about 15 years ago, haven't seen any Murray Greys since then. The first one we ever had was nick-named "Piggy".....it was very apt, she would eat till she popped if we had let her I think.... :) Beautiful soft grey color she was. Quite a contrast to our Jersey herd.