Angry (and stupid)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gilberte, Jul 27, 2005.

1. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Against my better judgment we sold our 1993 Ford Taurus to my brother-in-law with the understanding that I would help him change the rear struts on it. While doing so, even though we applied heat and a liberal portion of 'Liquid Wrench', I broke the pinch bolt from the spindle on the driver's side. We took the spindle to the local machine shop and was quoted $20.00 to remove the broken bolt. When we picked it up they said it took longer than they thought and charged $30.00.

Got the driver's side buttoned up and on to the passenger side strut. Yup, you guessed it, broke that one too. Now this machine shop is the only one for miles around and we wanted to get the job done so off we go with the spindle. Quoted $30.00 this time. Picked it up....$67.35!!! WHAT THE H..!!! I was fit to be tied.

What's the old saying, "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?" Well I certainly feel like a fool today.

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Hopefully the brother-in-law paid the bills.

Be careful using words like stupid around here. Even if calling youself.

Boys seen you coming. Depending on your state, you may only have to pay what is quoted. You got to read the signs in the shop and any fine print.

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Gee, stuff like that happens to all of us. Does that make you feel any better? Probably not, but learning lessons is expensive. Just hope that's the end of it, right???

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, sometimes it doesn't hurt to complain. After I calmed down a bit I contacted the owner of the shop and calmly stated my case and expressed my displeasure. He told me he would look into it and get back to me, yeah, right. Yesterday he came to my house and gave me a $40.00 refund! He told me he had a new foreman who had assigned my job to an inexperienced fella who took much longer to do the job than he should have.

Now, instead of me just fuming about being ripped off, badmouthing the establishment to others, and never returning for any future work, he has a much happier customer.