Angora wool block

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by budwpm, Jan 13, 2010.

1. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

What works to get the rabbit going again? I have one that I was given that looks like he has never been trimed. He is very boney, isn't eating, but he is still active. From what I have read I have to give him something to break up the blockage but he isn't eating so how do I get him better?

Thank you

2. HendricksHearth

HendricksHearth Well-Known Member

If he isn't eating, then he might already be in pickle and may not make it, but you can try to give him some banana (with the skin on), or 1/2 tsp. of Colase Syrup and/or pineapple juice (the enzymes are said to help break the hair down), or 1 tsp. of meat tenderizer (plain, but this one would be hard with him not eating). My angoras love papaya- I usually buy one, seed it, and slice it up into small pieces for my crew now and then as a preventative- they love it, so maybe your guy would like to nibble on it. They make papaya tablets also, but if yours isn't eating already then it probably won't be very helpful, either. I would take away his pellets for now, but would still offer a lot of hay just in case he decides to eat (hay is great for catching hair) and plenty of liquids- or you might be able to replace part of his liquids with fresh pineapple juice to help. Some folks have had luck with hairball remedy, but others say it never works. If he is covered it mats, I would go ahead and shave him down if he makes it before he can ingest any more hair.

Best of luck!

Lauren

3. UUmom2many

UUmom2many Well-Known Member

What is the difference between giving the banana and the payapa tablets? I'd rather stick with a natual solution. We just got an angora and I'm leaving his longer hair since he's outside and it's below freezing some nights. I've been giving him the banana but only a couple times so far (only had him 1.5 weeks) shoudl it be a daily thing? Bananas are cheap here .69lb today and my kids eat them too. We always have them in FL.

4. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

payapa tablets yep thats right!! as many as they want. It has a enzime in it that breaks the wool down. I gave mine a couple in the morning every day and also about 1/2 inch of banana at night and it kept them clear.

5. Illini

Illini Well-Known Member

My breeder said to keep frozen pineapple juice concentrate on hand, and to use a syringe to force it (thawed and slightly diluted) down if a block should make the rabbit not want to eat or drink. Canned pineapple juice will not work as the heat needed for proper canning has killed the proteolytic enzyme necessary to break up the block.

My understanding was that the papaya tablets were to be given as a preventative, but were not strong enough to break up a block.

Best of luck to you!

6. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

I gave the little guy some pineapple and squezzed some of the juice into his water bottle. I will make sure in the morning that the little guy has had more of it. After the little guy gets the juice how long does it take to work and him to go back to eating?

7. arachyd

arachyd Well-Known Member

Papaya is a natural meat tenderizer. I haven't experienced having a rabbit with wool block but at least you've gotten some pineapple into him (also some much-needed calories). I hope he makes it. Sometimes the rabbits that look the healthiest just topple over for no apparent reason and the ones you'd think are at Death's door come back to good health with amazing speed.

8. arachyd

pc froze/double post - sorry

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  9. HendricksHearth

HendricksHearth Well-Known Member

I imagine they both have enzymes that help break stomach contents down. I don't believe banana has papain (the meat tenderizer enzyme in papaya), but I am sure it has something of its own and the tropical fruits tend to work as stool softeners if given infrequently (like the syrup from my first post) while the skin on the banana works as extra fiber, too.

I personally do not go crazy with supplements for the angoras- it seems like as long as the are groomed frequently that they will not ingest a lot of hair anyway and you will not see the telltale stringy droppings with any frequency. When they are starting to molt, I usually pluck the loose areas immediately even if I can't finish the whole rabbit yet without causing discomfort- I will come back later on and work on them again when the fiber is loose in the remaining areas. I do give oats on Sundays most weeks to help clear out the digestive tract and I give them free-choice grass hay all week. I do give them random garden bits and/or fresh fruit bits as I mentioned in a previous post (older animals only), but I do it more as a treat and supplement to their diet then out of feeling like I must do it to prevent fur block. I have a bottle of papaya tablets sitting in the cabinet that I honestly never even opened from a while back, though I suppose I should just to use them up. I don't think I would breed an angora that had repeated problems with wool block- it has been suggested that there can be a genetic or structural susceptibity to it as well as environmental for whatever it is worth.

I hope the little guy is doing better today!

Best of luck,

Lauren

10. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

The little guy ate an ounce or 2 of whole oats since last night. He is still active to a point because the little guy is scared after I have messed with him so much. His water bottle has half pineapple pieces in it and half water. I am still not seeing a big change. I am not sure what else I should do for the little guy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

11. farm mom

farm mom Well-Known Member

If it is a complete blockage he just might not make it. Is he drinking the water? If he isn't drinking a good amount each day then I would syringe him with the pineapple/water mixture 4 or 5 times a day. Again, free choice hay, no pellets, make sure you are monitering to see if he is pooping. If you don't see any changes after a day and a half you can also give him mineral oil (one syringe 2x a day). Cut all his fiber off if you haven't already. Best of luck!

12. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

He is still pooping and is eating/drinking be it very little.

13. arachyd

Eating, drinking and pooping are excellent signs. Maybe he was just very underfed (you said he was bony) and does not have the energy to be more active. If that is the case plenty of good food and water should help put him right.

14. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

I still need help. He is still eating(2 to 3 ounces), drinking(8 ounces), peeing, and pooping. In this case he is not eating enough to sustain himself and the pineapple juice hasn't seemed to do much if anything. Should I give him more juice or I don't know?

Thanks

15. dancingfatcat

dancingfatcat Well-Known Member

mine get fresh dark greens or fruit in the am, along with 3 way and fresh water. In the eve they get 3/4 cup of pellets and more 3 way. Once a week they get a couple of med. sized pieces of dried papaya and about 1/2 cup birdseed and dried oats, along with their 3 way. No problems here, thankfully! These amounts are for each rabbit. I do groom them weekly and pluck them when they start to molt which is 3 to 4 times a year.

16. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

What is 3 way???

What are so treats that most rabbits love that will give them diarhea? I have tried lettuce, banana, carrot, leaves, grass, and pineapple but he won't gorge himself on anything.

Thanks

17. budwpm

budwpm Well-Known Member

Another update is here and I still need more info. He runs, eats, poops, and drinks still. He has eaten about 1 to 2 ounces of oats each daysince I have been monitoring him. He drinks plenty each day. It looks as if the pineapple juice did nothing for thim. I have not tries any tea which I think I will try regular sweet tea over night to try and help get some sugar in him. Since the pineapple juice didn't work and he won't eat any of the treats I give him what would be your next step in this situation?

Thanks for all the answers.

18. arachyd

Have you checked his teeth? Maybe he's having trouble eating.

19. dancingfatcat

dancingfatcat Well-Known Member

You say he IS pooping so I don't think he is blocked. If he were he wouldn't be pooping much, they would be strung together, small and dry.
    You don't want him to get diarrhea, it will make him get dehydrated and sick. lettuce is not good for him and not to much spinach either.
    I would check his teeth as well, maybe they are too long??? From what I have heard, rabbits don't normally get worms, but hey, who knows??? If he is eating and not gaining something is going on. Is he old???

3 way is timothy hay, alfalfa, and oat. bought in a bale and fed freely. I don't think sugar will help, it's the enzyme that helps break up the hair in their stomach. you could also try PETRO MALT, it is made for cats to dissolve hairballs and you can use it on rabbits. It's a paste they lick it off of your finger. cost is fairly inexpensive for a tube, use it a couple of times a week.

keep us updated

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  20. Devoville

Devoville Well-Known Member

Wool block is a result of not eating and drinking enough in the first place. It happens when the gut slows due to lack of water/ food. That is why greens are important as they hydrate the system. There are no "enzymes" that can digest hair. Chunks of fresh pineapple or papaya provide fibre and more moisture to the gut.The faster the gut moves the faster the stomach empties. If it slows down the rabbit eats less and less because it feels full. This is when the larger particles in the stomach start getting left behind, ie. hair and larger chunks of hay etc. Sugar will make things worse as now the gut is set up for bad flora and excessive sugar will cause excessive toxicity. Which in turn will kill the rabbit. It becomes a vicious(sp.?) circle. There are many reasons why a rabbit doesn't eat, starting simply from "not liking his food" to more complicated matters.