Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have found a local source for angora rabbits. The catch is that my DH says that they have to stay outside. No animals other than the dog in the house. Summer temperatures here are in the 90 to 100*s for weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them cool? I can keep them in the shade, but that will only help by a little bit... Thanks....
Also, what is a good price per rabbit? She is selling them for 50 for a baby to 200.00 for grand champions. I really don't think that I need a grand champion. I just want to spin angora....:)

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Mine were always kept outside year around. I had them In a shady area their cages were wrapped in black plastic for winter (the back 3/4 of the cage or they had houses). In the super hot summer days I would freeze pop/water bottles of various sizes and place those in the cages, they could lay near them or up against them to keep cool.

Ask her for a pricing on her pet quality rabbits. If you aren't showing them you really don't need show quality. $20-$50 seems to be what I've seen and bought them for.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Not much! and it would only be on the surface of the coat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. :) If the fiber mats on the surface, is it still usable? Can you just comb it? And thank you for taking the time to answer my questions...:sing::sing:

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Comb, brush, or cut. I always plucked my rabbits the matts got put into a baggy by themselves for felting. I brushed and combed my rabbits before lucking them.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I freeze bricks or tile squares for my buns in the summer !! I pluck her , no mats from them ! I also keep a fan on them in the heat to keep the air moving .... if they ever start panting , not a good sign I was told ...... they are in cages on the covered deck ....24/7 .... get blankets over cages in the cold cold .... like in the teens degrees .... heat is worse than the cold !

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
They'll be fine outside. What I do is have a fan blowing on them. That keeps them happy and keeps the bugs away.

Reactions: Marchwind
1 - 9 of 9 Posts