Angora Rabbit Thread

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Dec 12, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

The Rabbit Forum is an uncomfortable place for me to look for angora info because I raise my rabbits in the house, as pets.
    I discovered others occasionally wander in there looking for angora topics, so I wanted to try to start a thread "out here".

I saw someone who raises Satins recently posted there, as well as an angora "newbie."

I'm also fairly new with rabbits, and I'm starting out with german hybrids.
    I'm dying to know more about Satins! There is so little about them on the web.
    What can you tell us about them?

-Minnikin

2. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

ME TOO! I just want to learn about different types of wool/hair rabbits as well as hand spinning wool.

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

You noticed there not a very friendly bunch, I made the mistake of telling some one that if needed they could bring rabbits in in the heat, put them in bathtube if needed and got slammed because they had way to many rabbits for that. And the rest join in. I raised angoras [ english] for fifteen years tell my last past away last year [ old age]. Hope to get a french angora soon as I miss them.

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Well HI.. rabbit folks!! I know what you mean about the 'fussiness' over there. ANYWAY...

I am (was?) fairly expert in the art of most things rabbit. In 1993 I won the Best Oppostie of Breed w/my Jersey Woolie buck, at The ARBA Texas State Rabbit Show.

Last year (after being rabbitless for ?? 8 yrs??) I had the very best of the best in English Angoras.. purchased from Betty Chu. (The only angora breeder to win the ARBA National) I found them to be too much for me at this time and stage of my life. ... HOWEVER... I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

I also did some 4-H volunteer work/seminars for the kids in my county back then, south of Dallas. Happy to help. So.... what cha' wanna know? (I'll have to THINK on some of this.. it's been so long! LOL!! )

Right now I have registered Dutch. No particular reason.. they're just cute and SHORT HAIRED!! LOL

5. chickflick

Where did you get them.. (G. Hybrids) ? Are they the Giants?

6. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Chickflick, the rest of us would like to hear about your experience--so would you please post, as opposed to private mail?

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Wow! Glad to hear from all you guys! I have a bunny barn that has 23 bunnies, mostly English Angoras, and am hoping to have a couple of litters of new angoras this winter again. I keep them and do not sell them because I am so afraid they will be mistreated! I am learning to spin their fur. I have raised Angoras for about five years now. I don't want to even think about those raising rabbits for food....mine are ALL pets....You can go to www.backwoodshome.com to the forum and any of my answers or questions there has a photo of one of my Angoras on it.

8. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Well, I am sorry you feel that way. I am the list owner of the group and really do not feel that the people that posts are unfriendly. :confused:

I started this forum about 3 years ago when I was new to raising rabbits. The reason I did was that there are many many rabbit forums out there but most are geared to the pet owner and there is not a lot of info available for raising rabbits commercially. To make a long story short, I was laid off from a job was looking for ways to earn an income from home and at the time did not have many acres to raise other livestock and found rabbits to be a doable venture. I am very happy to saw that 3 + years and still going strong and have actually had to hire a full time employee becasue I can not keep up by myself anymore.

When countryside moved [now homesteading today] from the old site I moved along. Thanks Chuck :)

All posts are welcome as long as we stay on track as far as animal husbandry, etc. It is post like "my pet bunny fifi did this" kind of subjects that I prefer to steer away from. There are many other forums out there for the pet owner. Spinng/fiber is perfectly fine to post about. If you are using the fiber either for your own use or to market this is "for profit" . I myself do not have experince with these breeds but this is how we all learn.

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thank you, Tracy for being so welcoming, but for me it's just, well, like I said before, uncomfortable. After whiling away the hours grooming or spinning from a rabbit who is snoozing on your lap, it's just too weird to meander through the posts about meat and butchering...
    I don't want anyone to think I'm passing judgement - I'm not. I know that our culture has some very inconsistent perceptions about "food" vs. "pet/friend", and everyone makes a judgement for themselves about where they draw the line, and why. I don't want to have to defend my personal choices to anyone and wouldn't put anyone else in that position, either.

Finding rabbits has been hard! I attended the Wool festival in Rhinebeck, NY in October and all the angoras were the first morning within hours. After long online searches, I finally found what I was looking for through breeders. Getting mine is involving a lot of traveling...
    I bought my buck from this breeder last spring:
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/6421/index2.html

I'll be picking up a new doe from Vermont next week.

They're not giants, though most people who see them comment on how big they are. I think it's mostly wool!

Congrats on your success at the show! Did you use the fiber from your Jersey Woolie?

BamaSuzy, I couldn't find the pic you mentioned! I couldn't figure out how to do a search.

Hello Second Noah- Do you spin now at all? What breeds do you think you're interested In? I chose the german hybrids because they are furnished and come in multiple colors like the English but need less grooming.
    I can be inconsistent about brushing ... If I had an English I'd be harvesting more mats than wool!

Kathy H - Why did you decide to choose a French this time around?

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have French Angoras as well, and finding my breeders involved a bit of traveling, too.

I do use mine as dual purpose animals, and have no problems with the rabbit forum because of that, but I can see where it would be uncomfortable for someone. My breeding stock are pets.

I 'ordered' a new doe from a breeder up north of me awhile back, when I saw her newest buck ( a gorgeous black ). She's bred him to a blue that's unrelated to my broken fawn buck I got from her, so I get to pick up my new baby next month sometime. Whoo Hoo!! The whole litter was either black or blue. I had requested a black, but I'd be thrilled with a blue, too. Both would be too much right now.

I've never had a Satin, but since I don't spin much anymore, my wool is for felting. I think the French are a bit better for that. I think.

Meg :)

11. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Meg, I'm not sure I know what the blue wool looks like??? Do you know of any pics on the web that show the color clearly?
    Congrats on the new babe - I know how exciting that is. I can't wait to go pick up our new addition...

What kind of felting are you using the angora for? Are you blending it or using 100% angora?

12. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

13. chickflick

The blue looks like a grey kind of, but prettier w/a tannish hue.

For the ultimate in English Angora info go to:
    http://home.pacbell.net/bettychu/ But Please.... don't get bunnies from her unless you're ready for a SERIOUS CHALLENGE!! lol... I bought a trio almost two years ago, and within 6 mos. gave them to a couple of little girls on HERE!! (I couldn't keep up w/the wool!!! LOL!!

14. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone! I'm so glad to see this thread. I just got my first english angora last weekend. I've been wanting one for a few years now and finally found one through our spinning guild. She's six weeks old and soooo cute, a soft cream, tan, gray color. Do they change colors as they get older or stay pretty much the same? I got her for spinning fiber and as a pet.

I can't wait to learn and share more about angora rabbits from all of you. Thanks!
    Deb :)

15. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Sorry, minnikin, I hadn't rechecked the thread! Chickflick, thanks for answering the question!

On the other question, I want the felt to keep me warm! I have Raynaud's phenomenon, and felted angora boot and mitten liners are awesome!
    It takes a lot of wool, though. And I have nothing to blend it with, so I don't.

My lynx doe had her first litter Wednesday, just hours before the temp was supposed to drop to the low 20's. So, there I was, in the dark, flashlight in mouth, stapling the plastic up over the open wire front of the rabbit barn...it should have been done earlier, but that Indian summer we had threw me off. (It's not warm in there, but there's a noticable temperature change in the rabbit barn with the plastic up, and I don't lose any of the southern sun.)

Small litter of five babies, but they're huge and healthy, and Sappho is being a good mama.

16. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Hi MTDeb. My experience is limited but I believe the colors tend to fade as they get older.

Thanks for the link, Chickflick! I 've been wanting to learn to groom with the blowdryer and have had trouble. (I get "tornado knots") Betty Chu's site inspired me to try again.

MegZ - I would love ot learn how you felt. Right now I've been playing around with needle felting, which I love doing, but I haven't really mastered wet felting. How do you prepare the fiber? Do you knit and then felt?
    (BTW, thanks for your granola recipe. It's the first time I've made it and it was a hit with the family...)

17. chickflick

Just remember... Betty Chu is grooming FOR SHOW!! You might want to do things a bit differently if you are harvesting wool. The type of grooming Betty is doing is to Keep The Wool ON the rabbit for shows!! :):)

18. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

If anyone is intersted, I have a bunch of rabbits and cages for sale. They are in North central arkansas. Id like to move them pretty quickly. I think I have 23? cages, and 13? french angoras(5 bucks maybe), 2 minilop bucks, 4 californias(3b 1d), 7? florida whites(4 bucks), and 10 or 12 crosses(mostly does), most of the pure breds have papers, and all are between 6 months and 3 1/2 years old.
    Id like to have $250 or best offer. thats 10$ a cage, and all the rabbits for free. A steal I'd think.

19. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

Wish I was closer ozarkin'it. Sounds like a wonderful deal.

How do you groom your bunnies for routine grooming and collecting fiber, not show? What do you use to brush them? Are there any special techniques?

A lot of the gray is already coming out of my bunny and she's getting to be a really pretty cream/ivory color.

Thanks for your help!

20. chickflick

When the wool is 'ripe' you can just pluck it!! You could also use one of those metal combs for dog grooming or even a wig brush; with little balls on the bristle ends. The main thing is to not tangle it. Using a brush or comb is a little quicker, but plucking is 'neater'. Never cut!!! You want the ends of the wool to be in a natural state so that during spinning, it will adhere easily. The blunt ends of cut wool does not do this as well.