Angora kit pics (color id?)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Jan 7, 2007.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Here's pictures of our new English Angora babies. They're a week old now, and so cute!

I'm stumped on their colors though: the parents are lilac pearl, and there's definitely three REW's, but the others are a mystery to me. There appears to be two other colors in the litter besides REW though.

One of the REW kits is in the middle here. There's one kit (very back of pic) that's off-white with very light smoky gray points. The eyes aren't open yet, but when he was born, I noticed they were dark, so he's not a himi. I'm thinking he's probably pearl like the parents, but I wanted to get your opinion too. :)

The rest of the kits are the steely gray color of the kit closest to the camera.

[​IMG]

Here's a better shot of the off-white kit...

[​IMG]

And here's the kits in the nest. Some of the steel-gray kits have very, very faint tort-like markings. What color are the gray ones do you think? Pearls that got chilled or something? (Is pearl temperature-sensitive like himi?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Whatever they are, Rabbitgal, they are absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

3. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I'd say smoke pearl and blue tort. You could very well just have different shades of smoke pearl. Smoke pearl is a marked pattern, yet most animals put on the table here(I'm guilty) are way too dark throughout the body.

It just makes me wonder as I don't see any orage at all in the blue one. My hollands always had some orange, be it black, blue or lilac torts.

4. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

That is the cutest thing ever!

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Our agouti's started out that color.

6. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Wish I had my color genetics book here!!! If your parents' color is identified correctly, (lilac pearls) there is no way you could get agoutis, torts, blues.... The light colored buns with the dark masks are EASY. They are pearls. The darker guy looks like a newborn sable. But that can't be if the parents are pearls. So I am wondering about smoked pearl, but would really like to be able to check what th genetic code is for smoked. I thought they were "E", not "ee".
    From what I have seen on the genetics forum and French Angora forum on yahoo, shaded colors ARE temperature sensitive.
    So my SWAG is that the normal looking pearl kits are aabbc(chl)cddee, and the darker ones are aabbc(chl)c(chl)ddee.(meaning they have two copies of the shading gene) If this is true, their wool will lighten to offwhite, with dark tips on the guard hair, and heavier shading around the haunches. The lighten ones will mature to almost pure white wool color.
    I'd be very interested to learn if my guess is correct. :^)
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

7. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Oh, and pearls can't produce torts, either.

However, on the subject of torts......I have a lot of them born in my Satin Angora litters. I've noticed that some of them are born very dark with hardly any tan/red on the head and back, and some are very clearly marked torts, and some are born nearly solid tan/red with the dark points coming in at about a week of age. The super dark ones normally have browner(not reddish) wool as adults, and lots of dark shading on their shoulders and haunches. So its another guess of mine that there are modifiers to the amount of shading the torts and the pearls have on their bodies.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Wow, thanks for all your replies guys.

Willie the sire is definitely lilac pearl....his whole face is dark, so color ID is easy. Lacie the mom has always been a little puzzling though. She's pearl, but her eyes are amber instead of blue-gray like Willie's. Her markings are lighter, so it's a little difficult to ID correctly...the breeder thought she might even be a tort pearl, since her nose is sort of brownish, but it could be stained or bleached out though. I trimmed a little right around her eyes, and the shorter fur doesn't look any different than Willie's.

Lacie has just a few dark guard hairs scattered here and there...is that important?

Shucks, I'm just going to take a picture and let y'all be the judge. :p

9. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Ohhh I want that dark one!!!! How beautiful they are!

10. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I'm not good with colors but they are CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

11. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Hi Hannah! "Our" bunns sure are cute! :hobbyhors I'm gonna show my daughter the pics tomorrow. I know what she'll say......."I want them all!"

12. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I don't know squat about EA rabbits, but I sure know cute when I see it. Lovely kits!