Angora grooming question - directed at somerhill please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Jan 14, 2007.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I decided to post this as a thread, since it will benefit everyone, but mainly intended for somerhill. others! please feel free to comment.
    somerhill, this is a 2 parter.
    concerning the rabbits from bill,
    part one is, you said in another thread that you should not brush more than once a week, or it will pull out too much hair. ok, well, I cut alot of matts off the buck, and, although I really havent brushed more than once a week, it seems like he has new matt balls everyday in certain areas, and in the undercoat. his top layer that comes off his back looks real good, but the rest is the problem. what to do about this? how do I get it and keep it good and NOT tangled in the undercoat? should I shave him so he can start over? I really dont want to if I dont have to. The two does came with tangley undercoat problems as well.

part two is, you said in another post to cut with scissors or pluck when they blow coat. bill told me that his wife plucked whenever she felt like it. so how do you know when they blow coat? is it spring, and late summer like a dog? right now, he's throwing hair off constantly. all I have to do is pet him and it flys off in tiny pieces. and when I groom, it comes off in great amounts. Is he blowing coat now? should I pluck away?
    He is the only one that is like this. the does aren't.

by the way, the torte doe is much better. she is still being pellet picky, but her issue seems to be resolving itself. I am still doing what you said,
    and NYX is gonna have babies tonight! she has made herself a squishy nest of hay and fur and is now patiently waiting for nature. cross your bunny fingers!

2. lonelyfarmgirl

NYX had her babies last night. :bouncy: :clap: :buds:
    there are 5. 2 blacks, and 3 that will be some shade of red I suspect. Tonight, they are fine, she is fine. I want to explode!

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

:dance: Congratulations!

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

WOOHOO!!! :dance:
    Or maybe torts. Watch the belly color develop. If they start to show darker shading on the face(leaving a red top fo head) and darker shoulders and hips(leaving a red back) with a colored belly, that is a tort. A fawn will have a very white belly and underside of tail. Reds will develop creamy bellies with red lap marks in the groin area. Sometimes the wool color is not that much defferent between reds and fawns in Satin Angoras.
    Oh, and a chestnut agouti will be black with a white belly and underside of tail. The tan/red band does not start showing until they are around 10 days old or so.

About the grooming, clipping, plucking question:
    They molt when they decide to molt - there is not a set schedule with angoras. Each are on their own schedule. If he has lots of wool lying around he is molting. And if he is molting, he'll start to woolblock.
    Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and start over. He will never have a nice even coat if you have cut off parts and other parts are shedding out. Clip him down - leave about 1/2 inch of wool on him since its winter.
    You'll probably have to brush him out weekly because that 1/2 inch of wool will want to shed out as his new coat grows in. It may want to mat to the new coat, so keep an eye out for that. The new coat will be a bright red ( I think that is what color he is - hehe) Once the old coat is shed and brushed out, the new coat should be much easier to care for until it reaches about 3 inches. Then you'll want to start watching for mats forming and webbing in the coat. Webbing is when the wool just starts to stick to itself and does not lie smoothly. Usually, the wool starts to look a little dull. These are signs that the old coat is getting ready to shed out. At the same time, if you blow into the coat (like with a hairdryer) you will see the new coat starting to come in right at the skin. Often, it starts growing on parts of the body before other parts.
    Same thing with the tort doe. If she does not start eating well, getting that coat off of her will help since she won't be licking herself and ingesting lots of loose wool. Angoras naturally stop eating as much when they have a full coat of wool. Once the coat is removed, they usually start eating ravenously again in about 3-4 days (assuming they are not woolblocked)
    If you are concerned about him getting cold, put a nestbox filled with hay or straw in with him so he can snuggle into it if he gets cold. Just check it to make sure its not wet, since he will use it for a toilet as well.

There is a GREAT 3 part entry on wool block on Amy Spang's blog right now.
    If you want to read it, go to www.spangangoras.com and click on her blog. Amy does a lot of research, and does a really good job explaining things.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

5. lonelyfarmgirl

Well, there are only 4 babies left. Of the 5 when they were born, 4 were big and strong, and 1 was much smaller. I did not expect it to survive. So, 2 probably black, 2 lighter colored. they are by far the biggest newborns I have ever seen. this will be night 3, and they are fine, and its right at freezing here. was last night, and has been all day. I'll post color observations and maybe a photo when they are about 2 weeks, then decide form there I guess. Rabbit coloring still confuse me a bit. Been in the dog world to long.

somerhill, how long does will it take for his coat to grow back? would I be better off waiting until it gets warm, instead of cutting him while its below freezing? I mean for his comfort. In the mean time I could pluck him as he lets me, and keep up with the mats. I would like to show him at the state fair in august.

the torte doe is doing much better. she is suddenly eating pellets, and has become very active again. I guess what you told me worked. thanks!