Angora Goat had twins

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DMC_OH, Apr 3, 2005.

1. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am so so excited my angora goat had twins today. She had twin bucklings. Both are very vocal and so cute! Mom and the twins are all faded reds. What was really funny was that last night and this morning I went in to her stall to pet her (she was used in 4-H and very friendly) and she would lick me like my face and hands and wanted to smell my hair. That I have to admit was the strangest thing she has ever done. I figured something was up, this isn't her. Today her udders were tight and she had them. WOW! Twins. This was my first kidding. So happy they were heathy above all.

2. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

How great. Wish my pair of angoras would get busy and give me at least one kid. We just had twin lambs born yesterday though, the fourth ewe to have twins but both lived this time.
    Twins are so cute, aren't they?

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

How exciting!!!!

How much, if you don't mind me asking, do angora goats run? I have finally gotten a place to keep some and am thinking about asking for a pair for my birthday! :D

(edited to fix a typo. :D)

4. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on what you are looking for and who you get them from. I got three of mine for 75.00 a piece. But if you want regitstured stock the price does go up. I have seen them priced as high as 500.00 for a buck. Does are usually around 100-300. I do know some one who is haveing a heard reduction sale. She is in Pennsylvaina. She takes 50 % deposite to hold them. She can help you with a breeding pair. http://www.tredd.com/lavenderhill/salepage.htm
    If this is too far then type in angora goat in a search

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I don't care much about registration- I'm just looking for a way to get started. If I really *like* doing the whole fiber goat thing, any future expansions will be registered, but it seems silly to shell out that much for what are, basically, my first goats. (And hence destined to have all manner of silly mistakes heaped on them...) PA is probably a little far with gas prices the way they are right now (especially in my gas-guzzler of an SUV, although I wouldn't have to pull a trailer with it- goats WILL fit in large dog crates in the back, but I'm not sure I want the car smelling of goat for all eternity, so....

^_^

6. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

I would look into weathers. If you are wanting to see if you like the whole idea. That way you won't spend that much money to find out later you don't like them. Just remember Angora goats need to be shorn twice a year. Once before kidding (in march april some even wait til may) and again in Sept. Oct. Nov. (depending on where you are) before breeding.
    I show French Angora rabbits now and I am caught up with them. I think it may be over wheming for me to show both goats and rabbits right now. I was wanting to show goats also. Maybe one day I will. :) All I can say is take your time and look around. See what is out there.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've hauled goats and other critters in the back of my car or van many times. If you take precautions such as putting a tarp down, and plenty of bedding, you shouldn't have any residual odor in your vehicle at all. (The tarp will work best if you use a canvas one, as they slip on the plastic tarps.) Babies in a crate aren't going to leave any smell in your vehicle at all, but do put a thick layer of non-slippery bedding down for them.

Kathleen