Angora breeders (I have a question)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryDreams, Jul 10, 2006.

1. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I know that there are a few of you who raise angoras and I have a question for you. I currently have two litters in boxes right now. They are about five days old.
    Here's my question. How do you keep the kits from getting caught up in the fur that the doe pulled? Some of it is the longer fiber and I've had to cut out two kits from this long fiber. They are getting it wrapped around their necks. Luckily we haven't lost a kit to this, yet.
    Is there a way to avoid this problem or do we just keep our eyes open and watch for the problem?

2. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I remove all of the wool and using sharp scissors snip it up into much shorter lengths then return it to the nestbox. Still keep an eye on them tho. In this weather she might have pulled way too much if this is the case you may want to remove some and save it for the doe who doesn't pull enough in cooler weather. Some Angoras will keep pulling and with the added length there ends up a lot of wool in the nestbox.

3. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Good advice - Dittoe!
    One other thing - if you clip the doe down very short before you breed her, she will have wool that is an inch in length when she kindles. This is just about the right length to keep the kits from tangling.
    Still , keep a close eye on legs for the first few days. After a while, the kits' movement tends to felt the nest into a mat, and its no longer a problem.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

4. CountryDreams

Thanks for the tips. I will have to start coordinating clipping and breeding. I'm sure that will help.

5. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

It will help in a couple other ways. The buck will be able to "reach" the doe. Imagine being wrapped in 2 huge fur coats......... :rolleyes:

Also, if you clip around the buck's private parts, he won't get his own wool caught and wrapped around his......well, you get my drift. Ahem. :grit:

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

6. CountryDreams