angle grinder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fordson major, Dec 5, 2004.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

well the 16 year old makita has now become an angel grinder. after rebuilding it 6 years ago think we need a new one and maybe bigger. anyone have a suggestion for a 6+ angle grinder? was thinking of cheapy and replace as blows up but that makita was $160. 16 years ago so that was cheap!expect hard use by two rough necks

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I , would stick with makita or Milwaukee . I , have (2) DeW screw guns that are about 6 years old and the Power cords are both rotting OFF of them . I , also , have a Milwaukee screw gun that is 20 years old and the cord is just as good as new . Personally , I think DeW is a cheap brand masquerading as a Top quality unit . Maybe I just got some DeW screw guns made on Monday in KatMan Du when everyone had a Hangover , who knows , ...fordy.. :)

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Bosch!!!!! By gosh! :D
    Not sure of the cost.But i wouldn't care or even shop around for one of those suckers.Having used these daily in a Saw mill shop, i can say they are Tuff and last for ever.I even bought a 7inch one second hand for my self several years ago_Only thing that wears out is the grinding disk. ;) I haven't tried there smaller grinders, i to use a Makita 4 inch as that is also what the saw mill used for 4inchers (figured they new best and didn't shop around for one of those either).

Also not a Dewault fan! :( Only thing they make that i like is there miter saws.Speaking of which i guess its mostly personal preference but each of the top company's seem to make one product or another that is just far better or has features that makes it far better than the next.you kinda have to deside what you can live with or with out.For instance Porter Cable has the best balanced,strongest, fastest cordless drills Ive tried.(how ever warning here, there chargers do not last long) i own four of these if that says how good they are(only have one charger though. :rolleyes: ).There Scroll saw has the sharpest blades i have ever seen(three inch scare to prove it,saw wasnt running when i was cut).And the saw is top notch most versatile,also the highest dollar.How ever If you ever try one you'll never want any other.(how ever there are only limited kinds of blades made for these)There Saws All is the strongest most versatile ive tried,(how ever it is also the heaviest).(A Makita might have been a better choice for me.) Milwaukee makes the only portable band saw Ive seen.Is also top notch.Also makes one of the strongest Chop saws.(How ever the vise sucks).PaseLoad(sp?) makes the only airless nailer that is worth having.Have seen one shoot many many thousands of nails with no problems.I returned my Porter Cable airless it sucked so bad. :rolleyes:
    I could go on and on.But my point is don't just pick a top notch company and stick with them for all your tools.Pick a top notch tool. ;) Decide what features you cant live with or with out,which is strongest best,which is more cost effective and decide from there.Also ask people that use them.(Like you did here) Each (good) company seems to make at least one product or the other that is just far Superior to there competition..

Note the brands/tools i mentioned likeing best are all over three years old at least.Things are always changeing some one else may make a product i like better by now or a flaw i mentioned might have been corrected by now.Good lord i hope Porter Cable fixes there charger scew ups soon.Youd think 120 dollars would buy you a rechargeable drill. :haha:

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thanks guys. will have to make time and get round ta see them!borrowed a large bd that is apperently the fore runner of the dewalt. thirty years old and still going strong!but what a weight! :rolleyes: still will take durability over weight any day

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...60/103-7672504-2950208?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

This is the model angle grinder I have. Its the 4 1/2 inch Dewalt with the paddle switch. I bought mine several years ago on sale at Sears (felt better in my hands than the Craftsman which was a bit cheaper) and have abused it but it still works fine. Did replace the cord. I have used Makita and Bosch and the slightly cheaper Dewalt with the push pull thumb switch. Like mine with paddle switch best of all. You really just need to try them out somehow and pick the angle grinder that feels most comfortable to you. Just stay away from the cheapy noname brands. They have lot less power and the bearings fail rather quickly.

7. oldudbob

oldudbob Member

I have a DeWalt 7" angle grinder and two inexpensive 4 1/2" angle grinders. The 7" DeWalt is a great grinder, but it is real heavy. I find that I use the 4 1/2" grinders most of the time. Unless you have a specific need for the 7" grinder I would go with a good 4 1/2" grinder.