Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have cable or dish tv but we are able to get a few channels with a box(not sure what kind it is ....daughter is the one who got it for me )

I get to watch an hour of Andy Griffith 5 days a week from 8 am til 9 am and today it is on for another hour ..

I love this show and have always loved it from watching first runs of it when I was a kid to watching it again today ..

I really enjoy the messages within the show as well as the interaction between Andy and Opie ..as well as the friendship between Andy and Barney ..and the love between Aunt Bea and Andy (even tho I know that in real life there was no love lost between these 2 actors ) ...

Many of the shows of the 60's and 70's were about families I couldn't relate to ..you know the ones I mean ..
Mother and Father with happy happy carefree children ..
Ozzie and Harriet...The Brady Bunch ...and others I cant remember by name right now ..

But this one as well as Bonanza (single father with 3 "boys") and Courtship of Eddie's Father are grand memories for me....

I am sure there are others but they are just on the edge of my memory .

Do you have any memories of TV shows that bring back good memories ?

I will be checking back to see if there are more to look up and see if I can watch them on YouTube

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I always enjoyed Andy as well. I sometimes watch the reruns. There is one channel that we get, don't know if it's a cable channel or not that has all kinds of old shows. I was watching CHiPs the other day.

When my son was little, he enjoyed watching Flipper, which was one of my favorite shows growing up. And of course, who can forget shows like Gilligan's Island.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't seen Flipper on our stations but they do have old westerns like old old John Wayne and Roy Rodgers and Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford and Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges and old Outer Limits around 3 am until about 5am ...

I can watch Criminal Minds.....Law and Order Criminal Intent ..Cold Case ..Flashpoint....Listener....Blue Bloods...Rookie Blue and Leverage on Ion Television
We now get The CW on one of our local channels so I can see Everyone Loves Raymond ..Friends....How I Met Your Mother....Mike and Molly... Big Bang Theory....Rules of Engagement ...
Plus we have 2 channels that show some movies ..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have been happily watching Perry Mason and Gunsmoke on youtube. They also have all the episodes of The Honeymooners and The Dick Van **** Show. I had been watching Andy Griffith on youtube also, but CBS got it pulled. I expect them to pull all the others eventually. The good thing is, there is always someone who will put them back up.

I like the Waltons and Mary Tyler Moore. I Love Lucy is hard to find on the 'net, but there are a few episodes floating around.

Way back years ago, I was busy taping with the vcr everything that came on. Still have them, and a vcr and old style 13" tv and can watch hours and hours of Leave It To Beaver, MASH, Andy Griffith, Hopalong Cassidy, etc, etc.

I can't think of a better evening than to get something good to eat, get comfortable propped back in my chair, and start watching an oldie. Total couch potato mode.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Oh, I do like the old shows as well.

We don't have anything to watch TV - on TV - just tapes and discs, but we have quite a collection of those.

I wish I could find out what kind of 'box' people are always saying they use and if there is any other equipment or hookup required.

I can't say I ever related to any TV show, the lifestyle was so much different. We were what seemed very poor, almost isolated community. We did relate to the morals or lessons to be learned that seemed to be there.

My prize is two large boxes of Perry Mason tapes. It covers several years. My husband and I love seeing the old cars that were our 'dream cars' as teens. I didn't relate, but Della Street was definitely my roll model.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Little House on the Prairie

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
My favorite TV memories are the shows we watched as a family and those I watched with my brother every week.

Flipper, Gentle Ben, The Virginian, Bonanza, Marcus Welby MD, Andy Griffith, Gun Smoke, etc.
I loved the variety shows too - Carol Burnett and Red Skeleton were my favorites.
Tarzan and cartoons on Saturday - funny cartoons!

My grandson loves watching AntTV - apparently that's a channel with old TV shows and movies. Much healthier than what's on TV for viewing today.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
We just have an old TV, the black converter box, and an antenna...get about five channels...love those old reruns....love Perry Mason and Chips....think it is ME tv that it is on.....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We usually buy old series on disk if we like them. We have Hogan's Heroes, Mary Tyler Moore, and some of the Dark Shadows soap opera. We all like Dark Shadows and most of our cats and dogs have gotten their names from the characters. Lara Parker made a good witch and Jonathan Frid was an excellent vampire. We didn't get all the series but have when Victoria Winters went back to the 1790's and the hand of Count Patoffy, By far the best was the Head of Judah Zachary. With over 1000 episodes it keeps us busy for a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We absolutely love our Roku. It allows us to watch some of the old programs and videos that are on YouTube.

As for my favorite shows, I love All in the Family, Barney Miller and MASH. The writing was just so much better back then.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
We stumbled on a show called Monk. We've been watching all the episodes.

Monk is an American comedy-drama detective mystery television series created by Andy Breckman and starring Tony Shalhoub as the eponymous character, Adrian Monk. It originally ran from 2002 to 2009 and is primarily a police procedural series, and also exhibits comic and dramatic tones in its exploration of the main characters' personal lives. The series was produced by Mandeville Films and Touchstone Television in association with Universal Television.

The series debuted on July 12, 2002, on USA Network. It was well received and continued for eight seasons, with the final season concluding on December 4, 2009. The series held the record for the most-watched scripted drama episode in cable television history from 2009 through 2012 (broken by The Walking Dead) with "Mr. Monk and the End – Part II", its series finale, with 9.4 million viewers, 3.2 million of them in the 18–49 demographic

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I'm currently watching a 167 video list of Hazel episodes on youtube but I can't get the link to work to bring up the entire playlist here, only brings up the first video. Go to www.youtube.com and in the search box type "hazel full episodes playlist" and hit enter and the search pages will have multiple choices to click and watch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_w62E0Cpak&list=PL7OxorLxKPoantH_CTHeBc7WmynjmYSk3[/ame]

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Flowergurl, I love Monk! Though one episode was completely wrong w/how it happened. 50 lb salt blocks do not dissolve that quickly in water.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OH Thank you for reminding me about Hazel..
I hadn't thought of that show in years and will be watching it on YouTube...

Up until a month or two ago all I had was my internet and watched only YouTube ..
The budget was and is so tight that we couldn't afford Netflex but daughter has a friend who lives behind us and has an account so we bartered to be added to hers and I am able to watch it when I can get it to work on my laptop ..

I also joined a site called ytepisodes for a $20 donation that has hundreds of TV shows... movies and music ...shows from Dark Shadows....Ozzie and Harriett....The Riffleman.. ..Wagon Train ..Bonanza.....Deep Space Nine to the HBO series OZ ....Old movies ..too many to mention ..
With my donation I never have to pay anything again if I don't want to and am a full member..it is run by donations to keep the site online and you have to join to get on to look around ....but like I said my donation put me to a full member and am happy with another choice ..

Yesterday I started watching Perry Mason from the first show and will watch them all on YouTube between chores(I have to do a little and then set a while and repeat when I have good producing days and bad cant do more than set upright days ) ...

Thanks for the reminders of shows I had forgotten ...

·
Also known as Jean
1,509 Posts
I had hip replacement surgery in June and most of the summer I was not too mobile. I watched a ton of tv and thankfully The Waltons was showing reruns of the earliest episodes. It was awesome!!

Reactions: OUVickie
1 - 20 of 67 Posts