Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I got rid of my ole' tradition 50 cal. black powder rifle cause it would no longer shoot a consistant pattern. The rifleing was worn down almost smooth. When aiming I just never knew where that ball was gonna hit. So the last couple of years I have been borrowing my cuz's rifle as he no longer hunts anymore.

Well anywho, I decided to sell my gun at a auction in which I didn't get hardley doodley squat out of it since everyone's into inlines. But now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake of getting rid of it. Cause I've got to thinking, couldn't I have just converted that muzzleloader into a smooth bore shotgun?

Would it have worked as a muzzleloading shotgun?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
There are people that "refreash" barrels, (cut the rifling back to "new").

As to a "shot gun", would be sort of a weird "bore", but then again a lot of muzzle loader were smooth bores (like the "trade guns"), but were a larger bore, I think .68 cal rings a bell.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You had probably worn the muzzle area out with the ramrod. Fibreglas is bad for doing that. A rifled shotgun throws a donut pattern, even if it is worn out rifling. You could run a reamer thru the barrel and cut out the rifling easy enough, then made a shotgun. Just be careful you don't ream away the threads for your breechplug.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I had never thought about reamming one out to a smooth bore. I guess I could have taken it to a gunsmith and see what my options would be before selling it. My only thought back then was to sell and make room for a new muzzleloader, which is really hard to find now days. The new hunting cataloges don't even carry them anymore.

I went to my nearby Bass Pro shop in Broken Arrow, Ok. and all they had was a muzzleloading rifle kit that you put together and finish. It was so cheap looking I didn't even want to bother with it. Not to mention it wasn't very cheap in price for something you have to put together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.