And Tonites Find!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordson major, Sep 19, 2005.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

was a singer tredle sewing machine!! woods a bit rough and missing the belt but seems to be all there!! have to find a refurbish site for them, any ideas where to look? what have you found latley?

2. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

3. jokey

jokey Well-Known Member

http://www.needlebar.com/singer.html
    Great Find!!!!
    you can buy the belt which is leather from any sewing machine repair store or ebay. Also check ebay for any attachments or puzzle boxes.
    Hubby used a pair of panty hose as a belt so we could make sure ours worked LOL
    Ours came with no attachments and I still haven't been able to find them as they are attached from the back,most attach from the side.

4. jokey

jokey Well-Known Member

Thanks Minnikin for that link :rock:

5. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a pure white quartz arrowhead laying on the ground at the bottom of our hillside pasture! There it was, glistening in the morning sun as if someone had just put it there a few minutes earlier.

The strangest thing was, the day before I'd stumbled across a website about Indian artifacts. It said "somewhere, there's an arrowhead laying in a field.. and someone is destined to find it".

Sent chills down my spine. To think pehaps a thousand or more years ago someone was here hunting and was probably the last person to have touched it.

P.

6. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

That is VERY cool! Neat perspective.

My find this week was a WOODCOCK! I've never seen one in all these years tromping around. I was horsesitting for a friend and bringing the wheelbarrow back from the manure pile. It's in the woods about 500 feet up a steep hill from a good size creek. I heard a couple crunching steps and looked over and saw a bird not 10 feet away. I thought it was a quail until he looked my way with that long beak and funny expression. He just walked quickly away, looking back a couple of times until I lost sight of him in the underbrush.

7. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

you can go to www.singerco.com and email them the number that is on the front right hand side of the machine head and they will email you back giving you a number and directions to get a free manual from their site and they will also tell you the date and year that the machine was manufactured

8. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

DH went to the dump this weekend and a guy was throwing out a table saw. He said it ran fine but he didn't use it and it was taking up room. He gave it to Dh also the table to go with it. It runs fine, just needed a new blade. DH is one happy camper. :goodjob:

9. Miss Lynne

Miss Lynne Well-Known Member

Thanks Ky Hippy,
    I just ordered a manual for my machine that I've had since the late 70's. the dealer never gave me a manual for it and now I'll have one!

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

11. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

My find this week is a pet bunny for my son! Someone had posted her on Freecycle (I love freecycle!) She came complete with outdoor hutch that is solidly built and looks to be coyote-resistant (fingers crossed). We took the plexiglass floor off of it when we got it home last night, and now it is a Bunny Tractor (heavy to move, but now Bunny has grass to nibble and soft ground under her little feet). My son was so excited. :)

I'd post a pic if I knew how! :D

12. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Ellebeaux, I'm excited to hear there are Woodcocks in Va. I didn't even know we had them in the States! (I'm from England) Will be looking out for one.

I'm gratefull for the sewing machine links too. When we moved into the house here in May we found that the seller had left us a number of wonderful items, one being an old treadle machine sitting in the dining room. It's a Singer, Minnesota model 'A'. Believe it was made around 1909 and sold through the Sears catalog. It seems to be in good working condition but missing a small piece on the bobbin rewinder on the front. Now I'll be able to order the part and sew something for the seller's wife as a "thankyou".

P.

13. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

just last week i was i habitat and they have a free stuff pile. in there was an old kitchen chair with the flip out steps underneath. It had that 50's red vinyl and 50's red paint and it was in great shape. What's more, my kitchen happens ot be red and it matches. I have always wanted one, as i store home canned mason jars and big cooking pots up high and the kids have needed one for geting up into the cabinets. Woo hoo. it's the small things.

14. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thanx for all the great sites!turns out to be a 1935 from scotland! will have to wait till winter though as to busy right now. good to hear of all the other finds as well, though yesterday had a guy come up the lane with a truck load of old lumber for the kindling pile. that inits self is good (plus delivered!) but apperently there will be barn doors , penning and other build material as his father must get rid of their barn. hate to see it go but the town grew and it is to close to put houses near. oh and tin that is only 5 years old ! :happy: