And then there was one.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Mar 28, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Well we now have only one remaining chicken(Rooster actually) left... :(

Found poor old 'One Eye'(for obvious reasons if you saw him) dead,no aparent injuries and he was fine yesterday...perhaps he died of old age.. :)

Anyhow now we have only 'Honkie'(he was the lone white rooster amongst 25 black chickens :haha: ) and he seems a little lonely...

He is quite a pretty Rooster,a Speckled Hamburg I believe.

Ah well perhaps we can find a home for him where he might meet some girls... :D

2. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry for your loss. I've learned to harden myself over the years because chickens just don't live a long time. Spring is here and there are baby chicks all over for sale. Maybe you would want to add some girls to your flock. Make the old man happy. :)

3. oz in SC

No we are 'retiring' from the ownership of animals at this time-we plan to sell the house and rent so we can put more money into the homestead.

I didn't feel very bad for 'Old One Eye' as he lived a good life.

The chicken massacres caused by our dog were another matter.

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

An ad on the board at the local feed store will probably find a new home for your rooster in no time flat. I'd be tempted if you were in my neck of the woods.
    ~Mary

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to retire & move to my country place so that we can have chickens. Fresh eggs!

6. ruester

ruester Member

My very first livestock was "Fred", a White Rock rooster I bought for a dollar when I was about 10. He weighed about 10 lbs. He lived alone for a while, and was fairly content, but then a neighbor gave me 3 Aracauna hens, and he was REAL happy... those hens ended up getting eaten by something or another, but then my parents decided that homegrown chicken and eggs were a good idea, and we started raising chickens. Long story short, old Fred died in the defense of his hens while I was in college. Something had been killing chickens, about 3 a night, and one morning Mom went in and ol' Fred was pretty mauled up, but his hens were safe.

Keep that old rooster...ya never know..... :haha:

7. oz in SC

when we move into a rental in town people might not like to hear the crowing.... :haha:

He is a good rooster although a bit stand off-ish...

We had a little Rooster from the second batch of chicks who died defending 'his' girls against our rotten dog...sometimes roosters are anything BUT chicken. :)

Sadly there aren't too many people around here interested in raising chickens..