Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our gilt, who is now 101 days into her gestation, had a pretty pink posterior on Saturday which led us to believe she was 1 - 4 days before farrowing (according to a few sites we read). She is now NOT pink or showing any symptoms except her teats are filling out into nice small cones. Last night we pulled an almost finished shelter out into their pasture - just in case. (missing one roll bar) Tonight, she came running to greet me = obviously not nesting. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Our gilt, who is now 101 days into her gestation, had a pretty pink posterior on Saturday which led us to believe she was 1 - 4 days before farrowing (according to a few sites we read). She is now NOT pink or showing any symptoms except her teats are filling out into nice small cones. Last night we pulled an almost finished shelter out into their pasture - just in case. (missing one roll bar) Tonight, she came running to greet me = obviously not nesting. Has this happened to anyone else?
When within one week to 10 days of farrowing i pen the sow up, with hay in the pen to make a nest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
These will be our first and the sows first. She had been running in a four acre oak woods. My son and I finished our stalls in the barn today and fenced in her lot. We don't know when she is due. She appears to be swollen and her breast look larger. I checked on her when I came in from **** hunting. I bedded her down earlier with a bale of new straw. She looked content just now other than her breathing seemed labored. She was bred to a reg. old spot. We are anxious to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
straight up yo: vaginas do crazy things. don't base it your guess work on their vulvas. theres alot going on with that stuff. sometimes they have a heat cycle a few weeks before farrowing. who knows what you observed. but you are few weeks away with hardly any bagging up. I would guess later rather than sooner.

after a few farrowings you;ll get more a eye for the signs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do gilts bag up a lot? I wasn't sure if they fill out as much as a sow on their first go before farrowing. I am glad we have a week or so. She was bred the day the boar arrived - at least there was evidence and she never came into heat again. Due date is Nov. 12th. We may get her penned up after all. Time to build partitions!

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess this can be recorded as the slow process of a gilt filling out to farrow. Yesterday, she had escaped her pasture to get back with the other gilts/boar. Rebel! Got her back in her own spot again - definitely not ready yet but the process is neat to watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
I still think she is a very fine looking pig!

I've mentioned this on here before I think...but on my first farrowing last winter of my gilt, I put her in the barn at the end of January...checking her around the clock with great excitement....she farrowed March 6th....lol.

Won't be long now and you'll have some fresh babies to watch!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and then there is this poor girl - her teats are not filled out like our other one but she is huge with piglet and seemly miserable - lying around with that big belly of hers while it thumps with internal piglets. She is breathing hard - must be her Lamaze training.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome!! Congrats!! I work part time at a pig farm, nothing cuter than little piglets running around! Fingers crossed for a successful birthing and healthy piglets and mom!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts