And so it ends

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by alleyyooper, Jul 16, 2017.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

For nearly 20 years now we have been having a Sunday brunch at this Restaurant that is about equal distance for all of us to get to. Everyone is supposed to be there by 11:00am and all comply by being there with in 15 minutes if they are going to be late or call Saturday evening they are not going to make it.

This brunch is a business meeting so to speak with our group, with a drawing on who is going to hunt with whom for the next two weeks and any problems with farmers allowing access and such are discussed. Of course we also talk about the hunts we have been on crazy things coyotes have done and did. We talk about the whistle pigs and how happy the family were to get them for meat to put on the table and how good it is to know there are people not yucking and gagging over something they have not tried.

This morning we were informed by management they are not going to allow us to bunch up tables and have our meeting/discussions on our hunts. Some of their other Sunday customers are complaining about over hearing us talk of the coyote that shot under the jaw doing a back flip down the hill and ending up in the river that is nearly froze over, and other crazy stuff. Even a new waitress who is well tipped by us has complained to her boss. About us talking of butchering coyotes and freezing them.

So we are going to move, take our business someplace else. Discussed possibly a place that has rooms that can be closed off from the general public so they will not hear us discussing guns and calibers. Shots taken and fur that was really good and some that was really crappy. Getting to be to many city folks in the area these days.

Needless to say when we left this Sunday our tip was right at 10% and had to be divided 3 ways.

Two of the girls under stood and asked if we would let them know where we were moving to they enjoyed having us around and would like to join us for our brunches even.

:D Al

2. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

Apparently it was more cost effective to keep them and let you guys go...

3. alleyyooper

I believe rather than deal with complaints from customers and the one new waitress, they really thought we would comply with their wishes.
    Really no reasons for us to go there at all if we can not group up and have our meeting.

4. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

I agree with you, I would have to go to a different venue, someone will be happy to have you..

5. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Well-Known Member

I suppose Mississippi is too far for y'all to drive . . . you'd get no complaints down here (as long as you avoided Oxford, MS where Ole Miss is located).

But, just curious: why would you butcher coyotes and freeze them?

They're not edible are they?

6. SSRD

SSRD Member

Yes sir!!! They are some good eatin. Just stay away from brain and spinal column

NRA_guy and ShannonR like this.
  7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I bet you can find a new place easy enough , we have the trapping group breakfast at a place that thinks we are great.

someplace that might have a side room or back dining room even that you could all have to yourselves.

some people are real squeamish about talking about anything bloody and them eating in the same room. it doesn't make it right you get pushed out after 20 years but no one wants to talk about anything the least but unpleasant or hear about it.

8. alleyyooper

Dean got a lead on a place Sunday afternoon, called John and asked about him going with him Tuesday afternoon to talk to the owner.

Got to thinking about it today, average fee a couple pays every other Sunday is $15.00, that is just for the menu food, that is 8 couples and one minor Toms daughter. We pay $15.00 a pot for a 12 cup coffee pot. We pay another $10.00 per pitcher of ice tea, about 4 glasses full.
    Then some have deserts like my Kare and her chocolate cake. Another $2.50 above our average.

Added all up it is a healthy bill but I have no Idea what the profit is on it. I do know we never ever have had a problem walking in the place and finding 18 seats all at the same time every other Sunday and some times special meetings.

We could easy have our meetings at Johns sugar shack but I mentioned before the people would have to work out who was going to cook what and when.

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I was called a Hillbilly the other day because I had Groundhog cooked up and many Mounts in my house.

big rockpile

10. alleyyooper

Yup I have also been caller the yuk guy more than once because we butcher some of the coyotes we shoot for food and eat whistle pig and coons too, along with other critters.

I do not care I just figure they don't know what their missing not eating wild game and natural plants gathered in the woods and fields.

Like I told a fellow a couple months ago at the sportsman club a few months ago who got to making noises when I was sharing a whistle pig recipe. Go home and eat your floor sweeping hot dogs but first make sure they are not the recalled ones that are full of salt and stuff.

11. cpnkrunch

cpnkrunch Well-Known Member

My dad took groundhogs, coons and beaver into KC and sold on his egg route. Got them from a fur buyer, already cleaned. Had to leave the feet on so the prospective buyer knew it wasn't a cat! Mom cooked the ones he brought back if they all didn't sell. Beaver was the best, sweeter and not as greasy as coon. So Rockpile do I qualify as a Hill William too?
    I think you have the hotdog ingredients wrong. I heard lips and a**h*les, anything but the squeal!
    Here in rural Missouri, many places cater to hunters, especially near hunting season. Michigan is a big hunting state you should find a venue that will welcome the business. Take the two nice waitresses wth you.

12. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

I also like game, especially muskrat..We have 3 or 4 muskrat dinners locally during the winter. We also have aa wild game dinner every year which is attended by about 400 people..One of our long standing attendees has been VP Joe Biden, he jumps into the serving line and helps serve...

ShannonR likes this.
  13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I was married to a Full Blooded Indian raised in the Backwoods by a Family of Loggers. Went to Grandparents for Christmas Dinner. Grandma had cooked up bunch of Coons and Possums. My wife looked at them and made a face. I said what's the matter dear you like Possum and Coon? Yes but never had it grinning back at me. Grandma had left the Heads on as was the custom.

big rockpile

14. alleyyooper

Careful Ron M you could get burnt at the stake because of who ya hang out with. LOL

My brother and I used to have a muskrat trap line and we ate tons of them in the winter.

15. IndyDave

IndyDave Active Member

It will be interesting to find out. I have seen more than one restaurant get this idea and find their business tank over listening to a vocal minority.

16. alleyyooper

John told me this morning he and Dean visited the owner for the restaurant and got good vibs from him. Said would charge a flat rate of $10.00 per pot of coffee,
    $1.00 for ice tea so that is good.
    Have a room holds 20 to 25 people.

17. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are good to go, hope it isn't a long drive, enjoy...

18. alleyyooper

A little shorter for me by about 4 miles. Going to be 6 and 8 miles longer for John & Mikie , and Eric. About the same for every one else give or take a mile.
    John scanned the menu and sent it to every one by E Mail, Prices seem reasonable and have about every thing the old place had plus some extra like waffles, Even have local maple syrup and Honey too (not ours though.) and some local berry syrups too.