And... so did her sister!! Phew #2

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cjb, May 28, 2006.

1. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

My other doe, Carmel's sister, Herriot, just kidded, as well. She ALSO had twin doelings!! So... 4 baby girls this year - not bad! She had two babies with the brown/black markings of an Oberhaslis but with Nubian ears. Very cute. No spots, though - I was a little bit disappointed there. I'll post pics of all our new girls soon.

We had to pull the first doeling as she got stuck and the mom started trying to run away from the pain :( She was pretty good size but the second one was teeny. I didn't weigh her but, I've never seen such a teeny baby. She's eating, though, so should be ok.

All seem to be doing well, eating etc. I was a little concerned because doe # 1 is starting to paw at the straw again and complain a little when she lays down. Don't know if that's just a continuation of her instincts for nesting and she's complaining because she's still sore? Can't imagine she has any more babies - she delivered 11 hours ago, including a placenta.

Anyway, will watch her.

My wife think it just figures that the goats all have girls and we can only have boys ;-) We've had 4 sons, then adopted a baby girl and are now pregnant again.... with a boy.

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Congrats on all the girls! Watch that first doe, i am sure you are. As big and uncomfortable as she was, she could have a retained kid. Some does, mine anyway, will paw the ground afterwards. You can compare her to her sis as far as behavior, that might be a help. Milk out some colustrum now and freeze it for future use if you can from the second doe. I freeze it in ice trays then put the little squares in a ziplock so I can just thaw out what I want. If you don't need it, someone you know might. Valuable stuff. Date it. Make sure the first two kids are off too a good start in the sad event that you should lose the first one, always a possibility for anyone. Watch her temp and the "smell of death" coming from the back end. Does always have a discharge, for days if not weeks, but it should not be real foul in odor.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

No matter what, with our goats, if they are done having babies they look EMPTY, no nothing, they just look like they have nothing there. CONGRATS on EVEN more babes. you sure are doing good. Bye.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My goats often still look big and fat after having their babies. Their uteruses can still be enlargered after labor, like a woman's, so it is often difficult to tell. Also, a slightly fat or heavy does may be large still.

5. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Congratulations! It was been a long two weeks, but 4 doelings are certainly worth the wait. Glad it is over for all of you, hope that tiny one is large in spirit and gains ground fast. Have fun with those babies - 2 legged and 4 legged.
    Anne
    Cowgirlracer