Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our sign at the bottom of our driveway. The wooden sign in the right gets changed for the seasons and holidays. I made them all.

This is the front porch. The door in the picture goes into our grooming room off the garage. That area will be under an arbor (on the list to do). Note the perennial garden I have startes with "gift" plants and bulbs. The fence around the flower garden is made of old metal bed head and foot boards.

Another view of the barn, not done yet (on the list to do, ya...that list).

Facing west along our driveway is the woodshed/butchering shed. the wood part is 8'x12' and the butchering part is 8'x6'. The butchering area is for small animals. The chicken plucker, hater heater and counter. Also will be used to process the rabbits.

This is the last house, barn and homesteading I am ever going to design. Hubby has informed me that this is the LAST house and barn he is EVER going to build! This is our retirement home...Joan

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have never seen anyone else use cast iron headboards and footboards for garden fencing! I thought I had the original idea!

I have the identical headboard as the one the big bend in the top. However did it get bent? It is so cool looking.

I love your place.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I love the headboards and footboards idea - I'm going to use it in my imaginary homestead garden.

What a lovely place you have.

B.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Charlie thought I was nuts,...well, more nuts than usual, when I had him stop a while back and pick up this old pink headboard that someone put out with a free sign.I'm going to do a flower bed, too, just haven't gotten it done. Now I can show him your pictures and maybe........ he won't think I'm quite so crazy!!! Your place is beautiful. What a view. Love your sign.Love the blooming rose, Crashy!!!!!!!!!! -Robin

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You have a very beautiful place. You should be very proud. The headboard, footboard fence is interesting. I saw a little flower bed one time in Lilburn GA that had the headboard and down at the bottom the footboard and in between the flowers like it was a coverlet, I thought it was cute, a flower "bed". :)

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your kind words. Hubby and I have been together 41 years, each always worked several jobs at the same time to be where we are today. We are still working but wanted to make our last move while we were still able to do the work and make all the 1000's of decisions needed to be made while building.
We are almost "there". I have enjoyed "the journey" but ready for the "destination". Our goat herd is where we want to be after breeding for 6 years and keeping the best. I am enjoying my partnership with my great mare, she is one in a million. Chickens, ducks, geese and rabbits have always shared our lives. LOVE my 25 hour a week nanny job, the family is like my own. Our grooming business needs to grow to @8 more customers a month...wonderful to have the shop right at the house. Hubby works the night shift at Maine's Food and Paper. This is his retirement job to pay for his hunting trips.
So...I taught school for 25 years and hubby was manager of an Agway store. We both will be 59 this year, hope to have 40 more productive years together...PLANNING on that!!!!!...Joan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts