Ancient Zuchinni

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bare, Jan 8, 2005.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

I always figured summer squash was called that because unlike winter squash, it had to be eaten soon after harvest or preserved.

With that in mind, I never tried to store whole zuchinni until this year when my freezer was full. I still have several large (18"-24") honkers that I found hidden in the foilage early last July. Other than taking on the yellow-orange hue similar to aging winter squash, these things are as sound as the day they were brought into the house SIX months ago!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

What on earth are you going to do with those ball bats? I'm sure they are tough as can be! But the seeds should be good to eat.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

I don't grow 'em that big on purpose, but when I have the freezer space, I grate 'em up and freeze 'em.

I've also sliced 'em lengthwise, cored the seeds out and filled with tomatoes and cheese bread crumbs, sorta like a boat and baked. Yum.

4. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I had one grow about three times the normal size a few years ago-but it still tasted fine! It was hidden behind some other plants.......so, it wouldn't hurt to try some, I guess!

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Even if you can't eat the big zuccinis for what ever reason, it's nice that they kept so long and if you have chickens, ducks, geese, or pigs, I'm sure they'de appreciate it witout going to waste.

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Bare,

how are you storing them? I didn't think they would last more then a week or so in my refrigerator.

Thanks.

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sittin' on top of the freezer in the entryway. Nowhere special.

8. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

I've got a few of those bats on the floor of the "storeroom" (dining room) too. When the first freeze is in the forecast I harvest the whole shebang and bring it indoors. These have been in since mid-October-ish. Like moonwolf said we chop and feed these to the poultry yard. I figure we'll finish off the last of the zukes in a couple of weeks or so. Then it'll be about time to start the petunias in the "storeroom" :rolleyes: