Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Milk cow. Chickens. Ducks. Beef cow. Gardening. From scratch, traditionally prepared cooking.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are grain farmers (corn and beans) but I buy all whole grains for our grain based food items since we have a grain mill. Anyone have information about dehulling, mostly einkorn, but also oats, barley and buckwheat?
It seems silly to buy grains when you are grain farmers; but I know dehulling is no joke for personal use and probably not very practical... but still!!

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
I’m not any help, but just watched a few webinars on small grains, the one from Albert Lea Seeds talked about debunking. Sounds like even the pros with expensive machinery end up only getting 60% clean, the rest goes for livestock feed as a hull and grain mass.

was interesting to see, I grow oats and a couple acres of barley for livestock, along with my corn and beans.

Paul

·
Registered
Milk cow. Chickens. Ducks. Beef cow. Gardening. From scratch, traditionally prepared cooking.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not any help, but just watched a few webinars on small grains, the one from Albert Lea Seeds talked about debunking. Sounds like even the pros with expensive machinery end up only getting 60% clean, the rest goes for livestock feed as a hull and grain mass.

was interesting to see, I grow oats and a couple acres of barley for livestock, along with my corn and beans.

Paul
I just watched that same webinar. 😂
Yes, that seems to be the expectations, which would be fine since I usually have one or two beef cows at a time and I always have our dairy corn and chickens so it would never go to waste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts