Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
You can still do it . Join Ancestry and start there. It is a boatload of fun.
I guess I can add it to my to-do list...

Do you have to do the DNA thing? I am not at all comfortable with that.

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
.....The family trees listed on Ancestry are only as good as the person uploading the information and often those folks don't back up their research with documentation. Take any genealogical information you get online with a grain of salt unless you see the document the information is based on.
In SPADES!

Mon

Reactions: susieneddy

·
Shazbot!
5,951 Posts
I was given up for adoption at birth in 1970. How would it work for me?

I know my adopted family history and will die defending the honor this family deserves for not only what they stood for all along but accepting me and raising me by their standards. If you haven't lived the life, you can't understand the standards required to just maintain the requirements in an old southern aristocracy family.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I was given up for adoption at birth in 1970. How would it work for me?

I know my adopted family history and will die defending the honor this family deserves for not only what they stood for all along but accepting me and raising me by their standards. If you haven't lived the life, you can't understand the standards required to just maintain the requirements in an old southern aristocracy family.
You'd just put "adopted" on the family sheet that contains you and your parents and trace the history of your adopted family as usual. Family is more than blood.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven't got serious about it but am thinking of joining Ancestry.com.
I have documentation that my Great (X4) Grandfather was a private in the 30th Regiment of the Continental Army.
He joined in July 1775, one month after the Army was formed.
Army birthday is June 14, 1775.
I belong to the Sons of the American Revolution.

Reactions: starrynights

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, land and tax records go way back but birth, death and marriage records often do not depending on location. The family trees listed on Ancestry are only as good as the person uploading the information and often those folks don't back up their research with documentation. Take any genealogical information you get online with a grain of salt unless you see the document the information is based on.
Oh I agree completely. I never add anything anyone has shared until I can see legitimate reasons behind the entry. Ive found a few mistakes over the years. People with the same names in the same general area being confused etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My maternal grand-aunt Edith (and she was grand, God rest her soul!) did all the tracing the old-fashioned way. She went back a few centuries, and the bits and pieces I got were delightful.

Sadly, after Edith passed, her research seemed to vanish. By the time I realized it was gone, it was too late. My mom's cheese was pretty well slid off her cracker, and Dad had no interest in helping me find what happened to Edith's hard work.

Dad did send me a big old tube one day. I was so stoked when I opened it, only to find that it was an early rough draft of the family chart for my mom's aunt Katy and her husband, Max.

If you're doing family geneology, please be sure to share your discoveries far and wide. Then you won't have a grand-niece Pony weeping from time to time, because she can't go any further back than GGG grandma Catherine Bailie.
I am related to the Bailey/Bailie line through my great grandmother who died about 25yrs ago who was a Bailey. Im curious now if we may be related lol I will run that name through my database and see if anything pops up.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Oh I agree completely. I never add anything anyone has shared until I can see legitimate reasons behind the entry. Ive found a few mistakes over the years. People with the same names in the same general area being confused etc.
Yeah, I'm running into that situation while tracing my husband's family. Brothers who both married women named Mary (in the same year) and then had sons named James (in the same year).

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I am related to the Bailey/Bailie line through my great grandmother who died about 25yrs ago who was a Bailey. Im curious now if we may be related lol I will run that name through my database and see if anything pops up.
My mother's birth family (she was adopted at birth) are Baileys

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ancestry is not just trees, but so much more. I did the paternal side of my black roots through Ancestry. There are census records, info about plantations, the owner...all sorts of stuff. I found the planation in central south carolina and the owner. Long exhausting search, but I did it and of course shared it with my cousins.

·
Saltine American
7,370 Posts

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I think I mentioned in a thread here a while back my mothers brother had traced my Irish and Scottish side back to around the 1500-1600’s He did this the hard way back in the 70’s and 80’s. My dad’s German side- heh, not anything before they got off the boat about 125 years ago.
We thought we were Irish, but when daughter went to Ireland she found we are Scottish. Seems a 7 year old Scottish boy was adopted by an Irish man. And we come from that boy. She went with a group that matches u with your family and you stay 2 days at their home. That family had the info on the adopted boys line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The most interesting part of genealogy is you find out youre related to some amazing people. But those can be amazing for bad things as well as good things. William Penn was one of my grandfathers. Another was the personal physician to George Washington and then theres Captain Kidd and Ben the Tall Texan Kilpatrick his father was brother of one of my grandfathers. So its equally good and bad. I have several famous/infamous types in my family tree. But then again I have thousands in my tree. Its hard not to be related to most everyone it seems lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The most interesting part of genealogy is you find out youre related to some amazing people. But those can be amazing for bad things as well as good things. William Penn was one of my grandfathers. Another was the personal physician to George Washington and then theres Captain Kidd and Ben the Tall Texan Kilpatrick his father was brother of one of my grandfathers. So its equally good and bad. I have several famous/infamous types in my family tree. But then again I have thousands in my tree. Its hard not to be related to most everyone it seems lol
so true----I found out I am the 23rd cousin to Queen Elizabeth

21 - 39 of 39 Posts