Anasazi Beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by woodsmokeinherhair, Jun 8, 2006.

1. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

Well, when it comes to gardening, the area I need most help with is beans! :confused: I have planted different kinds before, but typically they don't do well for me. However, this year, I bought some Anasazi beans (I have cooked them from their dry state and liked them quite a bit) and they are producing pretty good right now! So I need to figure out what I can do with them! Can I eat them green? Do I need to shell them? Do I pick them green and allow them to dry? lol ......

I sure would be grateful if anybody growing these would share how they pick em and how they prepare em!

Woodsmokeinherhair!(wondering if them yukon gold potatoes have produced any babies yet to go with her beans! lol)

2. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

I love Anasazi beans too. I am assuming that you would allow the beans to dry in the shell on the plant and then shell them.

I have never tried them fresh or the greens. I use the beans in place of Pinto beans in recipes and in Ham & Bean Soup. The Anasazis add so much flavor. here is my favorite recipe:

Ham & Bean Soup

1-½ pounds smoked ham hocks or 1 ham bone
    1-pound small white beans (Anasazi beans are best)
    3 sliced or chopped carrots
    3 stalks celery sliced or chopped
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Water to cover

Put all ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 3-4 hours (possibly more if beans aren’t tender yet). It will get very thick; add water when you think it needs it. Somewhere down the line remove the ham hocks from the soup, and cool them, Cut the meat off the bones, discard the fat and return the meat and bones to the pot. When you are ready to serve, remove the bones and bay leaves and serve. Serves 6.

Here are a couple of websites with recipes. I haven't come across anything regarding the greens being edible. Apparently you can substitute the beans for Navy, Pinto, Great Northern and Kidney Beans. Enjoy!

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/qa/equivalents_substitutions.asp?index=A&tid=2463

http://www.wedonthaveone.com/anasazi_recipe.htm

3. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

oh! thank you! thank you! Those bean burgers look yummy! But you know, it just seems like such a waste to not pick those beans. Because, of course, if you don't pick the beans, when they mature and turn to seed, the plant will think it is time to die and it *will* die. I know I will get more beans if I pick them ..... oh well, live and learn (and I have another forum I can ask in there too! lol)

But thank you! I really appreciate the feedback :)

Woodsmokeinherhair!

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i grew anasazis this year, you can eat them as green beans if you want, but theyre stringy