Anal Glands (As bad as it sounds)

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Lynnette, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

My poor little boy has a problem expressing his anal glands. About 2x a year I have to do it for him. His inability to express them hurts him so bad and he tends to have accidents in the house as a result. He did it again this morning so I get to go home tonight and "take care of it" for him if he has not gotten any better. The poor little guy, he sees Mom with a rubber glove and he runs and hides next to Dad. He does the same thing when I get the nail clippers or the Dremel out. Why do I have to be the "bad parent?" :Bawling:

2. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

Poor pup, Have you tried adding Bran to his diet.

3. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, My dh's schnauzer has to have hair pulled out of his ears. I for some reason get that job. As well as being the one to give most of his baths and his hair cuts.
    Dh is the good guy.
    The little dog has no respect for me and has even bit me while I'm trying to get in the truck. Dh thinks it's funny, But I sure don't.
    I would try some bran and maybe some olive oil on his food, that may help.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if you did it on a regular basis? I do Sage every time he has a bath (every 3-4 weeks) and it doesn't bother him since they aren't so full and painful.

Adding fiber can help to make the stools a bit larger and firmer thus putting more natural pressure on the glands during defecation. It might be worth a try.

I know what you mean about always having to be the bad guy!

5. Lynnette

Thanks for the suggestions, I have neither right now, will vegetable oil work? If not, I can certainly get some olive oil.

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Is there an extra special treat that he likes? If so, save it for only right after whatever "horrible" thing you must do to him (expressing the glands, etc) Kinda like kids getting a lollipop after a shot you know?

I have never had a dog that has had problems with anal gland impaction, but I understand that it can sometimes need antibiotics? I remember my grandma's yorkie had to be put on antibiotics a couple times when they became infected. After that the groomer started doing them every 8 weeks or so and that seemed to help alot.

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Anal glands on little dogs should be expressed every 6-8 weeks. If done properly it isnt painful so don't worry about being a bad parent :) he just has your number. I groom about 6-8 dogs per day. The little fellas just don't seem to be able to express the glands like the larger breeds do.

8. Lynnette

Thankyou everyone, I appreciate your help, as does my baby boy. He will still hate it, but perhaps not as much. I think I have some bran cereal that I use for baking, I will try giving him some of that, in the mean time, it looks like I will be expressing them more often. Wow, what we don't do as parents. My husband and my brother just about lose it when I have to do it I can't say I haven't almost lost it a couple of times, but after paying $80 for the vet to do it the first time because it was a new thing to me, I will gladly do it myself. Not to mention that it is a horrible enough experience when Mom does it, let alone a vet that he doesn not even know hardly.

9. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

My basset seems to have the opposite problem. They seem to express themselves. Especially if she's sitting on the couch beside you :Bawling: ! Makes for a yucky evening to say the least!! :help:

What causes that? Seems to happen more if she's nervous. It's a REALLY hard smell to get out of the couch! When it happens she jumps up & runs to the door, or the kitchen. :help:

I'm getting tired of hearing "Daisy's butt stinks!!" :shrug: :help:

10. GoldenMom

It's very common for them to express when a dog is excited or scared. The anal glands in a dog are the same as, although not so fully developed, the scent glands in skunks (and you know what happens when a skunk gets scared!). In dogs they are supposed to express during defecation and are used as a scent marker.

The glands don't usually just express when a dog is just sitting there, but I imagine it's not too far a stretch to think they *could* express if a dog is really relaxed. I also notice they are much more likely to express if the tail is brought straight up from the body (it puts more pressure on the glands), so sometimes Sage's will express when he tries to sit in the recliner on my lap (he's too big and his tail stays on the armrest while his butt slides down into the chair). It's a blast trying to get that smell out of fabric!

11. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Better to do it than have a gland burst - this happened to our german shephard and it was not pleasant. Antibiotics and cortisone(some type of steroid) and I, cat person of the house, got to hold the warm compress on the her butt a couple of times per day. The vet, who IMHO does not charge enough for this procedure, squeezed it out after a few days and it was nasty. At least the cats are easier to do.

12. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a funny story...

DH had picked up a fox mask at the zoo (heaven knows why!) and he snuck up on our Lab and scared the ___ out of her! First and only time she ever expressed her anal glands in the house in that manner :p It wasn't so funny at the time though! The smell was horrendous! Any time he's ever tried to scare a dog, I remind him that he'll be cleaning up if he expresses their anal glands again! :eek:

13. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Is there some site that gives a tutorial for doing it yourself? I always had the vets office do it when I had my long haired girls groomed.

Now with Lucky, I give him a bath since he's a short haired dog. But I don't have the first idea how to do this and don't want him to ever be uncomfortable.

Thanks for any help
    Kathy

14. GoldenMom

Here's a site: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

My best tip is to make sure you pull that tail as straight up as possible to "push" the sacs out.

I think I posted on how to do this one time but for some reason I can't search back more than about 3 months on this board only so I couldn't find it for you (and it may well have been lost in the crash).