An update: We've moved before we've moved!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Jan 24, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We've moved before we have moved. We've traded properties, to be exact. The land we bought in September was three very pretty acres situated on one mountain ridge overlooking a valley with a view of the opposite ridge. It is beautiful, but it was all vertical, so to speak. We could have made use of it, but we're glad that God interviened.

We sold the three acres today. We made a little money on the deal and signed the papers on five acres of mostly horizontal land. It's even better. There's a playhouse for the kids. There's a great driveway. Ok, it'll need a little work but we can turn around. The 3 acres had almost nowhere to even turn around. There are actually two drive ways off the main road, one to the below mentioned shed and the other going to the house spot. The second one has a circular turn around in front of the house spot and a straight section that goes down to the backside of the house spot.

To the left of the five acres is a mighty, rushing creek. (At least it was today.) To the right of us is 10 acres of horse pasture. Behind us is a guy with at least a hundred fightin' roosters. Noone will care if we have lots of loud parrots. We can even have pigs.

Before, we were restricted to no trash piles, no open cesspools and no swine. Here, there are completely no restrictions. Along with having goats, if I ever decide on which breeds, I now want to have pot bellied pigs to raise for meat.

The best part is that the people living there before had chickens and left everything except their birds. There's a 20 X 30 shed with four attached individual runs that are 5 X 10. It's open on two sides. One side is solid and the fourth side has the runs. I can wrap this building in plastic with stacked straw bales if needed for insulation. I can then hang the parrot cages in this shed until we move their building.

We're still looking for a mobile home to move onto the property.

2. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I love it when things happen for the best. Sounds like you're going to make great use of your new place.

Good Luck!

Nik

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

That sounds great! It is said that we are always where we're meant to be at that time, and it's sounds like you have been blessed with a better deal. Enjoy!

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Yelp sounds like you made a deal.Wife says she forgot how to walk on level ground :haha:

big rockpile

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Whats level ground?
    Oh yes! I remember. It's that little patch of ground that I use for a garden.
    Silly me! I was just out there yesterday. :no:

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Sounds beautiful. Don't you just love existing buildings. :D

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
    Congratuations!
    Sounds fantastic.

BooBoo

8. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

What a super thing to have happen!! God is the blessed controller of all things. Will keep praying for the right house for you.

Are you to be closer to your work? Have any kind of view? When do you close? Five acres is always better than 3, etc. Do you have to worry about diseases from the chickens, or is there a way to spray Lysol or something to prevent that.

I'm so excited for you and your family.

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I am closer to work. Closer than where I am now and closer than where I would have been. We'll be just a few miles off of I-20, about halfway between Birmingham and Anniston.

Our view as it would be looking out of our front windows will be looking up the hill to the road. The view will be of the garden spot. The view out of the back window will the the squirrels playing in the oaks and hickory-nut trees.

We closed on the land yesterday. It all happened very quickly. The three acres were really grown up and covered in trash. We've spent four months cleaning and we made a profit. The real estate guy called Friday and asked if we were interested in selling it. We had never taken the sign down off the tree by the driveway. I said, sure, but where would we move to. He said, I've got just the thing. Apparently they've had this five acres listed for 4 years because it is so off the beaten path and everyone that did make it to look at the land heard all the roosters and backed out.

I am concerned about the chickens. I've made a similar post on the poultry forum. Everything has been empty for 4 years so there shouldn't be any strange bacteria or parasites still lurking around. I plan on spraying everything in the shed with Eviron-One (a strong bacteriastat and viricide) and dusting the ground heavily with DE and Lime.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. Keep praying. We went house hunting today. Maybe we'll have good news to pass along tomorrow. Amen!