an unwelcomed christmas present!!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Becca65, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Well, we've been having problems with the van for a week, DH took it into the engine repair place today, and evidently antifreeze is leaking into oil. :shrug: I don't know alot about this stuff, but it's damaged enough that we need a new engine for the van, and guess what no used engines to be found, sooo we have to get a new engine.. and that will run us 3,600!!! thats including labor too.. but gee he took off a 1,000 wasn't that nice?!! To say the least we're not to happy and we don't have 3,600 just sitting around either.. grrrr it was a run of emotions today i tell ya.
    If we bought another vehicle it would cost us more in the long run, we won't have any car payments but we will have credit card payments.. not a nice Christmas gift at all.. :( :Bawling:

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Get a second opinion on that replace the engine thing.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

What make and model,if its Japanese there are very good used engines available.Also what area are you in.

Sorry about the hit,bummer.

BooBoo

4. Becca65

Yea we did :( most of the places are around that price.. We called a friend that works on engines too, and he said they usually go for 2,500 but then they figure in the labor. *sigh*

5. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Just happened to me too...Transmission on my 96 Contour went 2 weeks ago. To fix her would be $1,500; her blue book is $500. Wasn't worth us fixing her. :Bawling:
    So we got a new car... :grump: At least it's in this century...
    As for a loan or credit card payments, most folks get socked with around 20% interest if you don't pay it off every month. A AAA car loan can be between 6 and 9%...
    good luck with the car either way.

6. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. My transmission just went out in my Grand Prix. It was our only transportation since DH's truck died. I did find someone who will rebuild it after Christmas for $1000. Now I have to bum rides to all my Christmas parties this weekend.

7. Becca65

American, chevy venture minivan and we live in Michigan it's a 1999.

8. Becca65

I know exactly, a credit card we'll never get it paid off!! my dad said to go to the bank and get a loan, that should be better, who knows he said he got a loan for 4,500 and paid 137.00 a month, thats not to bad probably alot better then a credit card.
    they showed DH the oil and it looked like peanut butter.. DH called work afterwards and asked his boss if he wanted to give any money towards the get a new engine for Mike..heh he didn't fall for it.. :shrug: darn!!
    thanks, it's a bummer having car problems, let alone around Christmas.

9. EagleCountry

EagleCountry Member

Petunia,
    A guy I work with just had the same thing happen to his Chevy Venture van. If I remember he said that the head gasket went and was undetectable. The local Chevy dealer said that they had seen this a few times and we live in a small town. They pulled the motor and replaced it with one from a junkyard. Like you said....$2500+ later.

10. Becca65

thanks for the post.. thats what the auto repair guy was telling my DH that these problems are common with this type of vehicle.. wish we would of known that 5 yrs ago!!

11. Melissa

Melissa member

I was thinking a cracked head or blown head gasket. Can you get a rebuilt motor instead? Cale had to get a new engine in his truck and he got the short block for about $1200 and the mechanic moved everything onto it. That cost us about $2200 total but still much cheaper.

12. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

It's not the head gasket that is causing the peanut butter oil, it's the intake gasket that has cracked. I guarantee it. Much different scenerio. Far less money. BUT............! It could have gotten hot enough to warp a head, but the root of the problem is the intake gasket. But..........!
    If you let it go so far as to turn the oil to muck like that you could have trashed some bearings therefore an engine is in your future. But.........!
    If the engine isn't to noisey at the present time, you could get the intake gasket replaced and try to flush out the sewage out of your crankcase and get it acceptable running condition and trade it in or sell it quickly.
    I do these at least once a week. If it doesn't get to far gone no harm. If not, flip a coin.
    Horse Trading, Nothing More.

13. Becca65

This guy said he called around to all the shops he deals with and nobody had a used engine, so all he had to offer was the new engine, of course it will cost us more.. DH's thinking of the long run and how the van will last us a few more years once the new engine is installed, I sure hope he's right.

14. CountryBumpkinLisa

CountryBumpkinLisa Well-Known Member

We got a gift like yours. Our transmisson went out! our van is old and we are having a hard time finding another. Merry christmas!

15. Becca65

We had a antifreeze leak, so DH took it in thinking it was just a leak, no we needed a whole new pump ( don't know alot about car parts) got that fixed, and thats when the other problems started, he had to keep refilling the antifreeze we could smell it, but it wasn't leaking anywhere, and evidently it was mixing with the oil, and thats why we need a new engine. :shrug: I guess he said it's dangerous when they mix like that, very corrosive (sp) so here we are, we pay for the engine and have the van for a few more years or we go buy another vehicle and have car payments.. Wish DH was a mechanic!!

16. Becca65

Yea sorry to hear that, it stinks anytime of the year, but just before Christmas it really stinks!!
    Ah well Dh and i were really upset just after we found out, but i try to look at the bright side, I said least our house didn't burn down!! not a good thing to say DH said oh my gosh I can't believe you just said that.. heh I was looking at positive things or trying too!! maybe i should of said least we have a roof over our heads, that sounds better :)
    Well Merry Christmas to you too!

17. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Go to www.car-part.com and do a search for an engine in michigan. I see a bunch of them in the $600-900 range. I have a hard time believing they couldn't find you an engine, that 3.4L v6 is a common one chevy used in all their minivans and a bunch of their midsize cars in those years. And yes, the intake gasket is a common problem unfortunately.