Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just solved a persnickety water problem up at the main barn; frozen hose.

My thought process: "A tank de-icer keeps the water in the drinking tanks from freezing. . . . . . it would also keep a hose from freezing?" IT DOES!!!

I coiled the 50-ft hose in a large-ish tub, filled it with water, plugged in the de-icer, and I was just now able to water the pen furthest from the hydrant with no issues! Earlier, I tied a length of orange baling twine to each end of the hose, to make fishing it out of the tank easy.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Good thinking nehi. Is it possible to put the tub where the sun will hit it for a good part of the day? If so, and you have an old window hanging around, you could cover the tub with it during the day and maybe the sun light will keep it from refreezing. It would save you from using electricity to keep the hose thawed during the time you wouldn't be using it anyway.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good ideas, SB!

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Nehi; never lived in MO, but when it was freezing in OK I would run the water, then disconnect the hose, throw it over a low limb on a nearby pecan and slowly pull it over.

By the time I pulled it across the limb it was drained; I'd blow thru it to make sure it was open, then stretch it out, one end downhill. If I did not drain it completely the water might collect in a low spot and only trickle when hooked up again, but it minutes it would be flowing wide open.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thawed enough this morning to run water through the hose that hadn't been drained, the pup had fun chasing the ice as it went down the hose.
Our dogs and other animals got spooked by the hose thawing out too.

I tried for years to get dad to put freeze proof hydrants at the barns. Then we would only have 50 feet of hose to coil up and put in the house. Instead of 200.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I tried for years to get dad to put freeze proof hydrants at the barns. Then we would only have 50 feet of hose to coil up and put in the house. Instead of 200.
Frost-free hydrants in several strategic locations is the BEST present I've EVER given myself!!!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts

Spooked, no she was going to get it and take a bite out of what ever was in the hose. I'm going to have to find her a running buddy to back her up she isn't scared of any thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts