an observation on finger jointed supers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by ace admirer, Jun 3, 2006.

1. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i got started in beekeeping in a kinda odd way...one late night out in my wood shop with a Fine Wood working book. in the back was plans for a homemade beehive. i had some scrap pine left over from the days project so what the heck. it used rabbit joints. it was about four years later before i actually put bees in the two hives i made that night. over the next few years i made splits of the two colonies until i had around 10 hives all of the simple rabbit jointed shelving pine. then i went "big" over thirty hives, purchased finger jointed supers....few years later got wiped out by this mite, that mite, dry summer, long warm winter...

ok that was years ago. well a decade or two.. i have 5 hives that would not die out...my son caught a swarm a few weeks ago. so a new spark in beekeeping,,,lit a fire in both of us,,,even my seven year old daughter....

here's the point....my orginal rabbit made boxes still are servicable.....very few of the finger jointed boxes survived. i wonder if the fingers don't harbor moisture worse than the well glued simple joint...

as a side note. i made one of those top bar boxes friday...but its probably too late for bees this year.

thanks for listening.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

On the other hand I have lots of both finger jointed hives and the simple rabbit jointed ones plus a few dove tail joints. Of the three the dove tail is the strongest but a pain to make with out a jig and router. The finger joints stay square and tight much longer than the rabbit joints do and as honey supers due to the amount of movement even worse.
    I'll put my money in the finger jointed hives assembled with a great water proof glue & stained rather than painted. Stain doesn't peel over time letting moisture in where paint falls off.

:D Al

3. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Good story Ace, I have both rabbit, and dove tail hives, I got a gallon of polly urithan real chep at a yard sale and clear coated my last two hives I put together.Looks natural,dont know how long polly urithan lasts.