an introduction..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kygardengal, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Just thought I would say "Hello"....I have been lurking a long time and it seems like I already know most of you...thought it was time to actually register and participate some. I have been of the homesteading way of life for a really long time. I have 18 acres in South Central Kentucky and I am finally putting a house on the thing to make "the move" from town....It has been a long time coming. I am married to a "city feller" which made this whole process take longer than it should have. But after 17 years of marriage and much compromise, the "big move" will happen. He is a "great guy" he just didn't know anything about country living...He is finally converted. Last weekend his family from the city visited and when we took them out to the farm they wouldn't get out of the truck for fear of getting dirty....."He" realized how much "He" had changed ...Now, he has "grasped" the dream and it is "our" dream instead of "my" dream....Believe me it was worth the wait....Thanks to all of you for the knowledge, enthusiasm and encouragement you bring to this forum..

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Welcome & congratulations on making the move. I had to laugh about your inlaws being afraid of getting dirty if they got out of the truck at the farm. That's how I feel when I'm in town!!!

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

welcome! Are you building your house yourself? is it already started? how far from town are you???? Yes, I too laughed about the in-laws fearing they might get dirty!!!!

4. Slim

Slim Member

Welcome to South Central Ky. My family and I moved to the Waterview Ky (8 miles west of Burkesville) in January of this year and we love the area. Good luck on your move. Slim

5. Kygardengal

Thanks guys. We have lived here for the past 22 years, but it has been "in town"
    Last year, I told my DH that "I" was buying property and that I was tired of waiting on him to change his mind. He was taken aback but he didn't have much choice. So I did this on my own. Since then, he has spent time out on the farm with me and has grown to appreciate it. I was planning on putting a tiny cabin on it, but "lo and behold" one day he announces that he would love to live out there and the plans to build a house began. We are just starting the building process. The footers are done and the foundation is next. It won't be anything elaborate. (Just what I want). I put in 1/2 acre of blueberries in last fall. I had to just decide that if he wouldn't do this with me, then I would just go on ahead myself. I am truly amazed that after spending time out there with me, that he has really changed his mind. At dark he actually didn't want to come back to town. He will keep his town job and I will have to continue to work but it will be worth it. I am just happy that he is "on board" this project. It wouldn't have been as much fun having to go back to town at the end of the day.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

You have a great attitude and outlook....I'm not surprised it was "catching"! You'll find him talking to the chickens next!

7. Kygardengal

We had hens 2 years ago..(25 Buff Orpies) but had to get rid of the last 6 as we couldn't keep our neighbor's dog away from them. DH took over feeding and gathering eggs when I was at work..We then decided to wait til next year to get more hens. We are having the house built as DH is not real handy and my carpentry skills are very minimal. I know that I will have to basically run the farm but just knowing that he would at least "try" to help is nice. I have always been very independent so he is used to it. :)