An Introduction from a newbie

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mama2littleman, Nov 10, 2004.

1. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Greetings everyone!

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm Nikki, and have been losing way too much sleep the last few days reading through the forums. WHat a wonderful little corner of the web you all have here.

Anyway, DH and I are looking into establishing our own homestead when we get back to the States (currently stationed in Europe with the military) so I've been spendng the last 2 years trying to garner as much info as I possibly can via books and websites. We have a 3 year old little boy who we want to grow up with country values and figure the best way to make that happen is to move to the country.

DH is a farm boy by birth, and I'm the city slicker (But he has managed to convert me). Anyway, we plan on moving to the El paso, TX area next fall and are currently on the look out for some nice land in the El pAso, TX to Las cruces, NM area.

That's a quick break down about us, I just thought it would be polite to introduce myself; instead of lurking in the shadows.

Looking forward to learning lots,

Nikki

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome new poster, we just topped 8,000 members here, a major amount of info to share is available. These forums cover just about anything you may want to know and we also have an archive area with about 100 subjects covered. To access the archives go tothat forum, follow the links until you find 'countryside', click there and scroll down. Please be aware that when entering click the upper left words 'homesteading today' to see all of this place, clicking only the word 'homesteading' will only show you a partial display of the forums here. I mention this because I rescently recieved PMs from two other new posters here whom asked about my title as veterans forum mod, they were not aware that they were missing the second half of this place, and their post count indicated they had been here for months.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Welcome to the forum...from another active duty Army wife! The years of planning make it all come together...trust me!

Meg :)

4. Running Wild

Running Wild Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum. My husband just retired from the Air Force and like you, we wanted our children to grow up in the country. We recently moved to our little "homestead" in Central Virginia and are happily and busily fixing it up.

You'll love this site. I learn something new everyday and there are incredible amount of friendly, knowledgable folks. I've been enjoying it immensely...

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

If you can look further west than Las Crusas, NM you will find cheap property. There is also a military base in Sierra Vista, AZ. Excellent shopping in Tucson.

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, and Welcome to The Lone Star STATE (soon) :D

Ever been here? (ever been to El Paso?) I just went for the first time last spring. Very grassless. Gravel yards, etc. GUess the desert isn't my thing! :):)

7. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with El Paso. I used to live 90 miles north of there in Alamogordo, NM. Same terrain, just closer to the mountains. Did spend alot of time in El Paso every month taking and picking up hubby from the airport. He was TDY alot. Retired military, now.

Desert, to say the least. Very little water. Rock is definately the preferred method of landscaping. Being on the border you have Juarez, Mexico to deal with. You could always see a brown cloud hanging over the towns as you approached. Border patrol checkpoints, too, and not just to cross into Mexico. They had one almost halfway between El Paso and Alamogordo. For being out in the middle of nowhere it sure got alot of activity. Even had a shoot out there and the guy took off on foot out into the desert at night. Caught him in Alamogordo.

Do you have allergies? I had been allergy free for about 20 years until then. Not no more thanks to the desert there. Just a thought to be aware of.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........................Welcome! Be sure and check the sales of property by the Tax Authority around Las Cruces\Deming as there are always undeveloped building lots that were purchased and then the taxes were Never paid so they are auctioned fairly cheaply . They maynot be in the "Upper Strata" :waa: , but if it's Cheap you could buy and hold and put a used single wide and then sell later . Just a thought! Lots of very bright and considerate folks around this place and seems more registering every day. ...fordy... :eek: :)