An Interview about Stop Animal I.D.!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 30, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Very good article/interview!

I've decided when I move back to Texas, I'm making an appointment with the editor of the small town newspaper. I come from a town that calls itself the "Cowboy Capital of Texas" - it might be of interest to all those high school and college cowboys that rodeo, and keep their horse where they live while going to school. Kid's playdays will become a thing of the past too - because people will just get tired of having to fill out and send in forms constantly. There's big money in rodeo... but if you don't have any new young folks coming in because of all the hassle, it will die.

Folks don't really like having to do paperwork on their personal stuff, that's why we have three months to get our Income Tax filled out.

What we need is to inform people like these. They may not believe us, but we still need to get the information out there.

I'm not a rodeo person, this is just one facet of the way this legislation can destroy a cherished institution.

HipShotHanna

3. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob.
    I've been thinking...remember when the government decided to get involved in the realm of organic standardization? The organic farming community and its support network went wild with letter writing, phone-calls and emails directed at our elected officials who ultimately changed the original wording of the bill. It had included sewage sludge and the ability to incorporate factory farming under the organic label. That was changed because we got involved! Can't we organize something of that nature? Perhaps we can even go through that network? Use those resources to get the word out to all farmers, homesteaders, backyard animal enthusiasts. We need to fight this; it worked when we took on the organic-police.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Heidi in NY

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Excellent interview. If we can get more of these interviews in more media avenues, it would sure help. Good Job!

5. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/newsroom/news_2005-5-26.shtml

Okay, everybody! Let's respond!! Get the word out to everyone you know!!
    I've emailed MOFGA (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association) and NOFA (Northeast Organic Farming Association) to see if they have any suggestions about organizing in order to see that this does not go into effect. I'll post any responses they send me here.

The deadline is JULY 6, 2006!!!

Heidi in NY

6. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Great idea Hip Shot. Think I'll download stuff & write a letter to the editor here. Hopefully it will get published with proof.

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

This is important folks. NAIS is going to affect you.Start talking, writing and emailing people. If you don't think this is going to affect you, I hope you're right...but I doubt that anyone will be immune to gestapo tactics.
    Why are just the small people needed to register??? Helloo, the big corporations are exempt to this. Start pressing your congressman, respresenatives, etc about these questions. Yes, I know big coorporation will push out small people like us out. Even more reason to fight this.
    Go to www.stopanimalid.org and read some of the articles. get involved and make a difference.Homesteading is it going to be something in the past??No longer a way of life??
    tnborn

8. Good Hope

Good Hope Well-Known Member

I hate to break this to you, but it was July 6th, 2005.

I think we should still complain, big time, but the comment period IS over. However, if we start talking to everyone, writing magazines, newspapers, etc., and making phone calls, we CAN make a difference and hopefully prevent it entirely. The key is to make a big enough noise.

The interview looked pretty good, however, and I am glad that it was posted. NAIS needs as much negative publicity as possible.

BTW, tnborn, I haven't seen anything indicating that big corporations are exempt. If they keep animals together in a group for their whole life, then they are exempt from ID'ing each individual animal, but NAIS still applies to them. If you have other information, I would like to hear it.

Sofia