Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"There are some things these folks give up and some sacrifices they make to have the freedom they do. It is not exactly the way I would do it, but that is the point of freedom, isn't it?

Bryce and Misty have spent the last 12 years building a cob home, homesteading, living off the grid, and homeschooling their two daughters. They live without a car, so for transportation, they use taxis and bicycles, and they eventually hope to have a cart that their two horses can pull. For food production, they have a permaculture food forest for fruits and vegetables, chinampa-inspired wetland gardens, a cow and a bull for milk, ducks and chickens for eggs, bees for honey, and they also forage and cultivate feral crops.

These two have put in an impressive amount of work setting up their homestead. The house is built with clay that they collected from the wetland area of their property, their well was dug by hand, and everything from the fences to the staircase was made with wood from within a 20km radius of their home.

The cost to build the house was approximately $1,000 CAD. Most of the building materials (the sand, clay, straw, and wood) came from the land, and things like roofing, lumber, and windows they sourced from secondhand and reclaimed sources. Interestingly, they used several different natural building techniques in the home with each new addition. They usually start with a timber frame, and they have used cob, straw bales and wattle and daub, to fill in the spaces between the beams. And they've also explored using green roofs and earth floors.

Since moving to the land, they had two lovely daughters that they homeschool using unschooling and life immersion methods. They learn about food production, natural building, nature, math, reading, and more!

To earn an income, they do a variety of odd jobs including catering, seasonal farm work, a roadside plant stand, and they also receive the childcare benefit that all families in their province receive. Their primary focus is not how to earn more money but rather how to spend less and have more time. They try to produce as much of what they need on the farm.

For electricity, they have solar panels on the roof and a wind turbine (currently non-operational), for water they have a hand-dug well and rainwater collection barrels, for heat they have wood stoves, they have two composting toilets, and a rocket stove to heat water for their bathtub.

You can find out more about Bryce and Misty here: The Territory of Ultima Thule"

12 years of Off Grid Living in a Cob Home

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Congratulations to them!..Now they live on purpose like half the people in the world do but wish they didn't have to.

For those of us who like to brag about how self-sufficient we are, we shouldn't let our heads get too big...The Amish have all been doing it better and longer than most of us.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congratulations to them!..Now they live on purpose like half the people in the world do but wish they didn't have to.

For those of us who like to brag about how self-sufficient we are, we shouldn't let our heads get too big...The Amish have all been doing it better and longer than most of us.
Please dont glamorize the amish life, i live where they have the right of way, so a huge community. They sell prefab houses but as they have an 8th grade education most of the houses have measurements that are off, i bought one my rockwool doesnt fit between the dang beams cause ofmit. Also they keep getting busted for kitten and puppy mills. The amish are responsible for 90% of the puppy mills in America. Oh also they use generators for laundry. Do some research on it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
More power to 'em. I don't aspire to that life. Too much work for an old man. What I do want is to live out in the country with as few regulations as possible. I take advantage of the modern conveniences. At the same time I am learning the skills so I can live like that if I have to, starting an orchard and garden, and prepping things like canning jars. I try to have backups and sometimes backups to the backups.

We may not have a total social breakdown but I do see a time when inflation means my SS check only buys a loaf of bread. My properties are paid for so I could cut expenses so the only one is property tax.

·
Registered
60 Posts
More power to 'em. I don't aspire to that life. Too much work for an old man. What I do want is to live out in the country with as few regulations as possible. I take advantage of the modern conveniences. At the same time I am learning the skills so I can live like that if I have to, starting an orchard and garden, and prepping things like canning jars. I try to have backups and sometimes backups to the backups.

We may not have a total social breakdown but I do see a time when inflation means my SS check only buys a loaf of bread. My properties are paid for so I could cut expenses so the only one is property tax.
Pressure canning has been a huge lifesaver for me. I have rice, dried beans etc. Saves me a ton of money in groceries.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Please dont glamorize the amish life, i live where they have the right of way, so a huge community. They sell prefab houses but as they have an 8th grade education most of the houses have measurements that are off, i bought one my rockwool doesnt fit between the dang beams cause ofmit. Also they keep getting busted for kitten and puppy mills. The amish are responsible for 90% of the puppy mills in America. Oh also they use generators for laundry. Do some research on it.
What goes-- clop.....clop......clop......BANG BANG BANG......clop.......clop......clop.....?
An Amish drive-by shooting..

I'm glad they run the puppy mills---Saves me the trouble of growing and grinding my own puppy flour.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Similar to you Nimrod, I'm not forgoing the minimum of conveniences (auto, electric, internet) but I am and have been working on needing less and less from outside sources. Conveniences are part of what enslave us. For example, electricity was not widely used until a hundred years ago. Now, we feel we cannot live without it... That dependence is trained helplessness; when the grid goes down it's like releasing a tamed animal into the wild...
I'd like to be more like John Muir, happily making bed in some leaves, or Tom Brown Jr., so finely attuned to what goes on behind the veil that I can feel where my prey is, know how loved ones are without needing a phone... Aiming for the stars.
These people I posted about are special because they are doing what everybody would be doing if they lacked that critical component which all governments rely on, namely fear. They are utter aliens to "expert advice" and that makes them much more truly human in my book.

·
newfieannie
9,651 Posts
i cannot lie. you can all live in the woods and make your bed on leaves etc. if you want to. me i'm sticking with my comfy electric bed with the massager and heater and a mountain of quilts. i've earned it! ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
25,272 Posts
There's spiders living in those leaf piles! Not my cup of tea, thank you.

I could survive roughing it, no phone, no electricity, no running water. We used to have a primitive camp site in PA and I miss those get-aways. But I choose to not live like that. I like modern conveniences including an indoor, heated bathroom.

That doesn't mean I don't like hearing about people who choose to live without modern conveniences. I like learning about how they manage without in this gotta have world.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There's difference between living a minimalist life-style ( I suspect a lot of that has to do with self-flagellation) and a simplified life-style. "Simplify. Simplify. Simplify."-- HD Thoreau.

My son who has lived the jet-set life-style in S. CA for the last 10 yrs said that his friends asked him if he wanted to go camping?.."No," he said. "If I wanted to do that, I'd just go visit my parents".

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Maybe im missing something but I have lived without power for long periods of time. Its a ***** with no running water from a deep well. Ya o did the rainwater for toilet flushes and animals water but dont drink it myself. And not having a car and calling a cab seems as if they live in a town with those services. Not me. Unless i want to hire one at $60 hr. Useless. Whatever good for them. But living in poverty and depending of others is not being self-sufficient.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
To each his own as they say. Glad they are happy and it works for them. I do see that they are still very connected to civilization if the UPS guy will deliver. And they are close to a cell tower for their phones. Not knocking what they have built, it's their's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Worst part comes at the end of the vid. Wifey spills the beans in the local paper about their unique digs, and then the building inspector gets involved. First rule of fight club...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts