Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Angie:

Can you edit and add a direct link to the post for this story. There are too many posts on CSF to look through...

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I had, but now I've replaced the general link with the specific link.
thanks for pointing it out.

Angie

·
Registered
864 Posts
Interesting story, the person made a couple of mistakes that almost cost him his life. Luckily he is alive and able to learn from the experience and share the story so that others can also learn.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
I would say he's extremely fortunate.

I keep winter gear in my car and I travel highway 100% to and from work and only 22 miles one way. I see people all the time without boots, gloves, coats even in below zero weather. I hear "my car's got a great heater". DUH. When its as cold as its been lately, I put on so many layers I can hardly bend my knees and elbows. My office has a long north wall so I never am too warm at work even with my layers. I keep a wool blanket, a sleeping bag, extra gloves, extra wool socks, extra coat, extra hat, sweat pants to add another layer, food, water, cell phone and cell phone charger, flash light and wind up flash light that can also charge the cell phone. I have a tin can punched to use as a mini-heater over a candle and candles and matches. Somewhere I had a large coffee can with toilet paper in it to use as a potty but it seems to have disappeared. I have a couple large heavy trash bags to use over the sleeping bag as a wind break. And I have one of those aluminum foil type survival blankets but I'm not sure its worth much. I also keep a snow shovel in the trunk. When the weather is especially awful I move everything out of the trunk into the backseat so that its easily accessible without getting out in the weather. We never let the gas tank go below 1/2 a tank. I also have two snow brushes and two scrapers. Most people believe I overdo things a bit!

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
We do all that and more, Ann. I just can't believe my eyes when I go to the store and some bozo is there in shorts,no jacket,even flipflops!!!!!!!!! Or like the other day I saw a baby,less than a yr. old with no shoes/socks/hat, jacket unzipped. Guess these are all the folks with govt. health insurance....and probably the first to whine for Unca Sam to help them...probably related to those who have 4-wheel drive vehicles and think they are immune to the laws of nature....why is it you see more of them in the ditch than any other vehicle???

It was so cold the other am that the car started but didn't even wanna go forward....took 15 minutes for it to start putting out a touch of warmth. Guess my MI winter training might be obsessive but with the weather patterns changing so crazily people best start taking notice. DEE

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
hmmm...don't want to seem hard on him but from his own admissions he has survived afew of these close brushes,,,glad he survived to finally learn from them. Just goes to show that it only takes one unconsidered action to put a person on a course for disaster.

·
Registered
453 Posts
"...probably related to those who have 4-wheel drive vehicles and think they are immune to the laws of nature....why is it you see more of them in the ditch than any other vehicle???"

Because with a 4 WD vehicle the driver is overconfident, according to a friend who runs a wrecker business.. you're right, they're always in the ditch, rolling over, etc...

I was involved in an accident on the highway 10 days ago.. a woman in an oncoming truck lost control and spun into my lane.. Totalled my truck but I'm okay other than bruises.. And no blanket in my vehicle! It was so cold waiting for the police and ambulance to come. A good reminder!

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
One of the important tricks to surviving(if it is a trick) is learning from your mistakes. I was sort of hoping the residents of New Orleans might have learned something from Katrina, but people often learn the "wrong" lessons from their mistakes. The fact that they want to rebuild New Orleans in the same place tells me that they weren't paying attention to the lesson which was being taught.:coffee:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just can't figure out why he took that road to begin with, if the weather was that bad, but then...that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Was this the same person who posted a couple of weeks ago about being stuck in a house with his mother without power while temps were dipping dangerously low? The one where he was concerned about his stock freezing to death?

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=283890&highlight=MTplainsman

I think if I were him, I'd be getting some winter preps together asap and carrying them with me 24/7!

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
YES, ovs. this seems to me to be either a very young guy or a very scatter-brained guy! He always seems to get himself into predicaments all the time, Last winter he went into a ditch and was stuck for a few hours, IIRC. He LIVES in MOntana, he KNOWS the winters are hard and yet he never seems to be prepared. Ah well, we are all different.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Appears he's just a very lucky fellow... However, luck only gets you so far.

I've driven thru blizzards, without a second thought... knowing I could crawl up in the back of the truck, and live for several weeks.

I wouldn't be caught dead travelling with my dog without survival gear for them too.

If I'd'a been stuck in the ditch, I do believe I'da started walking out... depending on someone else to rescue you is a recipe for disaster.

I loathe cell phones. Finally broke down and bought one. Dollar Stores have em free (at least a week or so ago, with a coupon), and the fees are miniscule. Originally bought it just for emergencies. I've actually made some calls on it now... after having it almost a year. Amazin' how those minutes add up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am bothered that he would rather let his dog die than put it in his jacket. Both of their body heat would have helped each of them. He put that dog in that situation and didn't show much consideration for her misery.
I know some won't agree with me, but we take the responsibility of providing for our pets the same as we do a kid.
Shannon L. Darby
SLD Farm
Beallsville, OH
http://www.sldfarm.net

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think he could do with hanging out down here and learning from some folks.

I thought he would cuddle with the dog even if a tight fit, or hold it and wrap something around it. I was concerned when he was starting the vehicle as I don't remember reading of him clearing the tail pipe of snow, but maybe it was up in the air.

Just seems as if that scene was something a stranger to the area might find themself in, and not a local. And the previous experiences referenced sounds as if he does not learn quickly.

Angie

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i don't think that he should have walked out. i think he made a good choice to stay put considering the temps and the winds...the winds especially. his only choice would have been carrying all of his clothing (sleeping bag) and digging a snow shelter if he got to the point where he couldn't walk anymore. by that point he would have been cold and wet, probably sweated clear through, and he may not have been able to shelter in the snow. he could also have gotten lost in the blizzard never to be seen until the spring thaw. i think he made a good choice to stay put. i'm still thinking about having the dog in the bag...not quite sure on that one. there could have been issues with moisture...especially if the dog had an accident.

perhaps the fellow made some mistakes that got him into the mess he was in, perhaps he could have been a bit more prepared...especially preps for the dog, but i think he did a fine job by waiting for rescue.

i am thinking that if one lived in remote areas like the fellow who was stuck, perhaps having some sort of signal prep would be a good idea. the cell phone is obvious, but perhaps a signal flare or fixins' for a signal fire would have helped. maybe removing the spare tire and burning it would have attracted some attention.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
My mom was from that part of the country (Dubois WY)and said from the time she could drive there was always a spare wool coat,socks,mittens,hat,blanket and a down sleeping bag in the car she also kept a red bandana to tie on the antenna.When we moved to Georgia she still kept all but the sleeping bag behind the seat of the truck.After living in Ga. for 30 years when she died I removed the wool coat and such from behind the seat of the truck when we sold it.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
My gut generally has told me it is safer the majority of the time to stay with ones vehicle for shelter unless staying with it would be more dangerous (about to be carried away by a flood, it is on fire, about to fall down a hillside/ravine/off a mountain, etc). In the heat and the cold and with the wind and how dangerous at times it is to walk for help even if you know the area, staying with something much larger than you, and also easier to see by searchers makes more sense.

I too think it was selfish and irresponsible to not take care of the dog. Dogs may be animals, but for my family our dog is a companion, friend and family member. She hears things and smells things better than we do so she could alert me to someone coming in a vehicle long before I would notice it. She would also keep me warm and in good spirits because she loves to snuggle with me and my wife. I keep a blanket for her to have over my truck bench seat and I also keep extra work quality coats in my truck in case I have to change a tire or such in bad weather. They would double as canine sleep shelter.

What the guy did was foolish in trying to get through a drift. He could have flipped his truck rather than just put it at an angle.

I think the guy just had the dumb luck to stay alive because he at least stayed in his truck. Better educated and supposedly knowledgeable people have perished for doing things as crazy as leaving their vehicles.

I hope he has learned his lessons before he perishes in another situation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts