An expensive mistake!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Mar 8, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yesterday, when I got to the farm, the temperature of the bulk tank was 60+ degrees. YIKES!!!

Our milk is picked up every other day, and it had the previous day's milk in it.

This is the third time in a month I'd arrived to find an elevated temperature ... the last 2 times it wasn't quite as bad, though -- only in the 50s. Yesterday, it was really warm outside (in the 40s) so we weren't as lucky.

Guess there's a coolant leak somewhere in the system. I called the boss right away, and he got a tech out to fix it within a couple hours.

But rather than dump the milk, he tried to ship it ... NOT a good idea! Not only was it spoiled, but it ruined the entire batch in the tanker truck that picked it up. Which he now has to pay for ...

Had he dumped the tank, he'd be out about $2500. As it is, he's out $15,000, although I guess insurance will pay for some of it.

(And you thought YOU were having a bad day!!!) :no:

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm sorry to hear your boss had equipment problems but I think the $15,000 makes for a fair penalty for someone who is reckless with public safety. He would know the rules and trying to foist bad milk on someone else seems like cheating the system.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I don't know why he did what he did, but he is sucking it up and paying for his mistake.

I assume he thought it would be OK ... I don't think he would have shipped it knowing it was over the limit; for one, he would have known the consequences.

There are more ways to lose money farming than there are stars in the sky, aren't there?! :confused:

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think they would have an alarm on that tank so if the temp rose about a certain degree that it would go off and give them time to fix it before the milk spoiled. In our greenhouses at work they have it set up so and alarm alerts our greenhouse manager via telephone.

BobG

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Not too long ago here in WI, a group of farmers were charged and found guilty of adding HUGE amounts of water to their bulk tanks and shipping it out. Milk truck driver was in on the scam as well.

Was glad to see them get their due.

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Bob, that's a great idea, in fact a friend of mine has one of those devices to alert him to frost at his remote farm (he grows strawberries ... they use irrigation for frost protection). I'll certainly mention it to my boss ...

I'm just glad I checked the temp as soon as I got to work and notified him right away! Even though the damage probably was already done at that point, if I hadn't noticed it I'd have felt partly responsible later.

Traveln, I've wondered why it wouldn't be possible to do that (not that I'd try it! It was just idle speculation :) ) but as I understand it, market price is based mostly on butterfat content ... in fact, I believe producers actually are somehow penalized for the fluid content (costs more to haul than it's worth)?

Maybe a producer could elaborate on this.

7. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

There's an alarm you can get, but maybe he'd be better off looking into a Time Temperature Recorder. They're required by law now in Canada, just waiting for our turn on the schedule to get it installed. Should cost about $1500 US or less, monitors just about everything that is done, cooling, wash temperatures, etc. etc. and lets you know if anything unusual is going on so you can catch it early before the milk starts getting warm, or if your wash is screwed up before the bacteria counts start going up.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I wouldn't even drink milk that was on a counter for over an hour. But damn, expensive mistake and I guess ya gotta learn by them.

Jeff