An Alternative....for Prilosec......and cheaper , Too!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jul 30, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Do you (generic you)...take Prilosec on a regular basis??? Do you suffer an upset stomach approximately 24 hours after taking your pill ?? Do you incurr Diahrrea(sp) between 24 to 48 hours ...After taking your pill ?? Well....I've found a Damn good alternative and it's awhole LOT Cheaper..............
    ................"Ranitidine".....75mg. per pill........I purchased the Equate brand at Wal Mart ......120 pills for about $ 12.75 . I was having all the symptoms that I described above from Prilosec . I was taking a cap every 3 days . Now , it has been 7 consecutive days ....Without prilosec.....And, I'm taking 1 , 75mg. pill at night and 1 75mg. in the morning and ...SO FAR.....no acid attacks.....thank God.....It has changed my whole routine.....We'll SEE how long the good times last.
    ..................I HATE PRILOSEC. :eek: .......Dr. Fordeski.....H.M.F.I.C. , Texas Institute for the Advancement of Fatboys who like to eat Chili Peppers and Feeholee's, :p They's Good!!!!!... :p

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:yeeha:

Okay, Dr Fordy :yeeha: what the heck is a feeholee? Given it's Texas, I've guessing it's probably some kind of measly, dried up, pitiful, fried lizard. :yeeha:

3. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

Hi~

:haha: Frijoles are beans! :haha:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/frijole
    FRIJOLE: Dictionary Entry and Meaning
    Pronunciation: free'howlee

Definition: [n] Mexican bean; usually dried
    [n] the common bean plant grown for the beans rather than the pods (especially a variety with large red kidney-shaped beans)

Synonyms: frijol, kidney bean

See Also: common bean, common bean, common bean plant, genus Phaseolus, Phaseolus, Phaseolus vulgaris

DH likes the prilosec OTC but stores around here have been out for like 3 weeks
    if the equate is just as good then we will be getting that now!

Thanks!
    Rachel

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I'm very new to this site, but I look forward to reading your posts every day. You're a hoot.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Daybird: it's the caffeine. :yeeha:

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I tried the Prilosec OTC for a while. You can only take for a while then you have to stop. The symptoms do return when you stop. And I was having similar stomach problems. Only it was mostly horrible, terrible, bloating and GAS. OMG. I was embarassed to go out in public. LOUD. :eek: Now, I'm doing the same little pink pills from Walmart. They work just fine for me too.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Actually , I was just being a little stupid . A, rather natural condition , it seems , as I was spelling the word by the "Texas" method of "Spellit" the way it sounds dumba_ _ . This, is the method that GW uses when he's home on the "Range" . .....fordy..... :eek: :)

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! The girls at work gave me a WalMart gift certificate. My husband uses Ranitidine, and we may hit a space where we're temporarily between insurance. Good to know we've got that much covered anyway!

10. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

careful--if your dr has prescribed a proton pump inhibitor it may be that a histamine2 blocker is not strong enough. For me, the side effects of prilosec beat the choking to death I was facing. You do not have to stop prilosec otc after 14 days IF your dr has okayed staying on it longer.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

oh you got the choke too?
    had the dilation yet? fun!

prilosec didnt gimme no problems, I used to hammer baking soda water till I got heart palps from it.

yes ranitadine is a generic pepcid.. also zanac.
    took em all. prilosec is ok when I get episodes but mostly I pop cheap antiacides and have a dialation done about once a year.

aint the choke a kick? feels like your having a heart attack.

12. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

What's a proton pump inhibitor? :eek: Tell me about this.

13. poppy

poppy Guest

Bink, it has to do woth quantum physics. You know, electrons, protons, neutrons, and such. You're much to dumb to understand.

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Ranitidine=Zantac
    Famotidine=Pepcid

15. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

A proton pump inhibitor blocks the production of acid by the stomach lining.

16. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Would you please describe "the choke" to me? I'm not sure if that's what's bothering me. I've not yet had my heart attack so I'm not sure what it's going to feel like.

17. Jo73

Jo73 Active Member

Well, if it's what I had, it's basically your esophagus ('food pipe' as opposed to 'air' pipe) spasming shut. It feels a lot like a heart attack, and sent me to the ER (I told the doc "yeah, I know I'm too young and too female to be having a heat attack, but that's what it *feels* like"). They put me on Zoton (aka LANSOPRAZOLE), which is a PPI as described above, and it worked great. I was only on it for 2 weeks, as per my Doc's advice, and have had a lot less stomach problems since. Quitting the job that was causing all the stress helped too ;)

Jo
    (back after about 6 months away - hi everyone!)

18. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine felt numb and tingling down my left arm and into my ring and little finger, and up my left neck into my jaw. Plus the elephant stomping on my chest so I had to pant real shallow. 3 days of cardiac monitoring, serial enzymes and 12 lead EKGS revealed NOTHING. I was discharged still in pain.
    6 months later I chugged a liter of icy water (usually didn't drink but a mouthful at a time) and was without symptoms for 5-10 minutes. Came back. Repeated the ice water chug. Symptoms gone. Called my doctor and asked for Prevacid. One of the few times he listened to me. Symptoms all gone.
    They recur if I drink coffee or carbomnated fluids.
    Prevention magazine recommends avoiding mint (which relaxes the sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus) and recommends chewing gum, which stimulates salivation to dilute the acid.

19. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, you can get two 120 tab bottles at Sams for $10

we also buy our generic Claritin at Sams club. We can buy 2 months supply at Walmart or 6 months at Sams for the same price

20. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thanks for all the great advice. I've been on "stomach meds" since I was 12. I'll be 28 on the 9th. My current insurance won't pay for ANY "stomach meds" since prilosec went OTC. I've been paying full price for Nexium. We're going to Sam's tomorrow. Thanks again.