An Alien invaded one of my heifers teats

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Oct 27, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

We had the vet take a look, sent the pictures to his son at cornell. The vet was stumped, he never saw anything like it. Curious if anyone has any idea what the heck it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pardon the image size, but check r out.

Jeff

2. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

I take it she was not born that way? Think a calf could have sucked her and absesed the teat?

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

No. she had completely normal teats when I bought her. The vet said that if it is due to sucking usually you get a bigger sore, and what is interesting is the fact the back left one in the pic is starting to do the same thing. The right back hasn't yet. He thinks it is a good 3-4 months growth, so it started a ways back, but never noticed (smaller).

Jeff

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OMFG!!! I have never seen anything like that in my life ...

You certainly have my condolences!

The only thing that came to my mind is frostbite. ?

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

It hasn't been that cold, last night was the coldest night since March or so, it went to 26. I dont think it was frost bite.

Jeff

6. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Ouch that looks painful poor gal

Sam

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

That looks VERY freaky, and wierd too! Hope she gets over it. REALLY weird.

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to think about. The Guiness book for this one. under the oddities catagory..

9. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

Could it be Lumpy Skin Disease?
    It's caused by a virus and will affect the udder and teats. I've never seen a picture of the symptoms though.
    Leigh

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Problem is, even if she did get over it. Would the teats go back to being straight? Or would they be at that 90 degree angle. If they stayed at 90 degrees, you can't milk her.

Jeff

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

She was amongst the group of heifers I bought last January, so it isn't my breeding. She was a twin, and the sire is Den-K Marshall CK Perry-ET. This could be an isolated case, in that she could have something wrong genetically that caused the teats to grow abnormal in a way they grew those strange balls. What is strange is the fact it is exactly the same color as the skin, and the black that was on her teat is on that thing. Also one appeared to be cut, or something similar, and isn't scared (similar cut you see on any cow that cuts their teat).

Also that lumpy skin disease seems to be in Africa, atleast thats what that link said. However I doubt she would recover to the point those teats would be normal, usable teats for a milker. If she was some high pedigree heifer I would keep her, flush her. However she isn't, it does suck, however atleast it isn't one of my good heifers :).

Jeff

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

True, and you should ALWAYS try to look on the bright side, good job!

13. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

You stated that she was a twin...A twin to another heifer or a bull???...You do know about Freemartism...although this shouldn't have anything to do with her teats....Does this seem to be painful to her???...MissKitty

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I dont think she is a free martin, if she was id be making a phone call to the person who sold me her. But I doubt they sold me a free martin. When my mother touched her teats she did not jump, try to kick or act in pain. She has a normal appetite and seems to be growing fine. I wish it was treatable, but the strangest thing is how it singled out the teats.

Jeff

15. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that is so strange.
    If I were in your situation, I would be sending pics to different places...vet schools, maybe some state collages, ect, just so see if someone out there could put a name to this. Might be worth a try. My thinking is that your vet might be stumped, but gosh, Someone has to have seen this before. Do let us know if you come up with something, whatever way you decide to go here...
    Mary F.

16. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

My first thought would be a tumor.

I know this isn't really the same thing but have you ever seen video of those people who have monstrous tumors develop on their faces that literally disfigure them? They're not cancerous, but are extremely damaging. I don't see why such a thing couldn't happen on a cow's udder.

17. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I was thinking the same thing catherine and used the same analogy, funny you said that :). It could very well be that, and during development of some sort of cell it went hay wire. But what is interesting is how it does single out the teats, this is why it could either be some genetic anamoly, or simply a tumor.

Jeff

18. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

fescue can do funnythings some times??? we had a bull with fescue tail, i hear it normally is in the hoof??? dont know what it looks like before it falls off?

actually caused by a fungus in the seed this article says it can effect milk and reproduction, just a guess on my part,

http://www.sharpseed.com/pdf/Scientists solve mystery.pdf

hubby says cancer...

19. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit far stretch but we have a male dog who has one HUGE nipple. I can't remember what the vet called it but it isn't a problem for him as a male dog who will never need to produce milk through it. Not sure what it might do to a milk cow though. I can check with the vet next time I have the dog in but that might be a while. That's pretty strange. Never fun to have the vet say they don't have a clue what it is.

20. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Jeff. I would inquire as to her twin...It maybe something genetic and the twin may be suffering with it also...
    I had a twin that was a twin to a bull...Ofcorse the foks that sold her to me warn me of the possibility that she might be a freemartin...We had her DNA tested and sure enough she was...It was costly and now if faced with the decision again I would just wait and see if she ever came into heat...
    My little freemartin was the perfect picture of a Jersey calf...she never grew a bad though...MissKitty