Amount of meat

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by seaweed, Feb 28, 2005.

1. seaweed

seaweed Well-Known Member

Hi, I hope you all don't mind me asking a question as I am not a pig person. I have the opportunity to purchase a side of pig. Estimated weight is between 25 - 35kgs including the bone. Does anyone know roughly how much meat that will be minus the bone ? I don't have a massive freezer so I could need to make arrangements to store the rest & I'd rather be prepared.

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

75% of that will hit your freezer ,, give or take abit,

3. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

You should have plenty of room. I ain't into metric but a half pig ain't much, especially if you have a separate freezer.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

That depends on what parts you are going to eat. Do you like chitlins, head cheese, haggis, rinds, pickled feet etc? If you are talking only skeletal meat, then it depends on the relative obesity of the pig. The lowest percentage realistically is probably 40-50% of live weight. Dont throw those bones away, cook them down into stock.

5. seaweed

seaweed Well-Known Member

Thankyou for your replies. I ended up ringing a butcher & the 25-35kg I think is the side minus the head & innards. He reckoned out of 35kg, I'd end up with about 25kg of meat. I've not done pork bone broth before but I have some very nice looking pork bones & puha stew recipes we could try. I've also asked for all the fat so I can make lard. There 2.2lbs to a kg btw.