amount of alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by billygoatridge, Jul 20, 2005.

1. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

Does anyone who feeds their goats free choice alfalfa pellets have an idea how many pounds a goat will eat of them a day. Hay is going to be higher and harder to find in our area this year and I was just trying to figure if pellets would be more economical.

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

I can't give you a firm idea on how much they will eat as I don't know what kind of goats you have. Right now I'm feeding 3 Nubian does, 2 Pygmy does (in milk) and a Pygmy/N. Dwarf doeling the alfalfa pellets and I give roughly 3 lbs each to the Nubians, 2-3 lbs. each to the milking girls and 1-2 lbs. to the doeling every day split between two feedings as I don't have a big feeder built to give it them free choice yet.

If you are considering doing this due to the rising cost of alfalfa hay then I would by all means recommend it! There are many advantages to using the pellets over the hay. First there isn't all that wasted hay that you've paid an arm and leg for, second you will find that your goats will do wonderful on them! Within 2 or 3 weeks of changing over to the pellets I noticed that my girls were looking better than they had ever before, their hair was so soft! Another thing I noticed pretty early on is the increase in milk production. I'm feeding less grain also, so there is another cost savings to me. One other thing you will find that is a plus is that the pellets are always available, easy to store with no loss of nutrition!

I'm sure others will chime in and give you their opinions and will be able to help with how much.

Jeannine

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I personaly dont have any experience useing alfalfa pellets but have been considering it just because of the obviously less wastage.
    However I read somethign a while back about not switching them cold turkey it can cause digestive problems switching them all at once since the pellets are already ground and your goats are used to eating long stems. I have heard of it causeing serrious problems. So would recomend switching graduly at least give them access to both and gradualy cutting back on the hay.
    I'm sure lots of people have done the switch withought a problem so realy dont know what the risks are just something I read once.

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought those red mineral feeders that you hang on the wall from jeffers to feed my pellets out of hung 2, but they never seem to stay on the wall. I built 2 tube feeders from the 4"PVC pipe and hung them on the wall to fill with pellets and no one gets to hog all the pellets because they have to work for them.They have learned to paw the wall to get them to fall down the tube faster.Funny to watch.But the tube feeders stay put on the wall.I fill with 2 gallon bucket of pellets a day each day.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Alfalfa pellets are the main thing I feed my goats. They get them free choice during the last part of pregnancy and during milking and then get less than free choice at other times. My "baby pen", that is, my pen of 4-5 month old weanlings get them as free choice as possible right now...that is, as often as I go out there and fill up the feeder. I also provide coastal hay and one a day feeding of Sheep and Goat pellets with a top dressing of "Milk Plus" pellets. I would get your goat used to them gradually over a week or so, then feed them all they can eat. My neighbor down the road is allergic to alfalfa in any form and her goats look bad compared to mine despite her feeding a high pro diet. Her goat that freshened just a month ago is drying up. No calcium I presume. Alfalfa would have helped her goat out, I'm sure.

6. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

How many goats are you all feeding the pellets to. I'm thinking Hay still sounds a bit cheaper unless it gets to $5 a bale. 3# x 40 head= 120#'s. I can buy alfalfa pellets $13/hundred. Around $15 a day sounds kinda high to me. Thanks for the responses though.

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I free feed cubes because they are even cheaper.

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

my goats won't eat cubes, if you can pick up at the plant where the pellets are produced they are much cheaper by the ton.

9. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

it took mine awhile to figure out how to eat cubes.. since pellets are now more expensive to feed then hay is (alfalfa #2 $7.25 a 100 pound bale, pellets $7.99 a 50 pound bag) I went to cubes at $170 a ton ($5.06 per 75 pounds).

When they got hungry they figured it out.

10. SherrieC

Well I will have to check the price on Alfalfa cubes, but I think it's the same price up here as pellets.... If not though hmmmm.

11. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We don't feed free choice. The goats get both alfalfa hay and pellets. While there is some waste and time getting them used to the pellets, can't say which I prefer. They look the same condition wise no matter which we choose. The cubes were fairly easy too. We bought hay for $6.50 a bale (less than 100 lb bales). Pellete are over $11 for 80 lbs. DH can't lift the sacks and the bales are a bit easier. Try all 3 methods and see which you prefer.

12. SherrieC

I checked the price on alfalfa cubes, they are $ .50 less a bag, but they are always in large quanities at the feed store. The alfalfa pellets I have to special order I usually place my order 2 weeks before I run out, it usually takes a week to get in. This time as in other times in the past, hubby went to pick up the order and It is on back order for another two weeks! I have enough pellets till Tues, and just Just got the baby goats switched over to nothing but pellets. :bash: Thank God though there was a new vendor at the farmers market Sat, and he has HAY HAY HAY HAY :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :rock: :happy:

Sorry, drought area stress :D ANyhow he brought me 20 bale 2nd cut sweet smelling, I gave everyone a flake imediately, and will give the goats half rations of pellets and half hay, and wean them back over to hay. I can't risk feeding all pellets till I can get a Ton pickup truck and go pick up my Own in the town where they make em 95 mins away, by the way anybody looking for a really pretty truck 1/2 ton, real chick getter, but an action figure, ( looks pretty on the outside, doesn't do much) Let me Know cause that Toy is For Sale BO! I'm going get me an old brumhilda truck not afraid to haul feed, manure, trailers, scratchy old stock panels.