Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my cages have removable trays under them and the amonia smell gets pretty strong, even if I empty and rince the trays daily. Is there any way or thing I can put on the trays to keep the smell down?
I've noticed the growers in our tractor don't smell,as their urine soaks into the ground.

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
Baking soda is great for controlling odor.

Are you using anything in the pans?? I have two cages with trays and I picked up those wood pellets used in stoves to use. They're very absorbent and there's no odor at all. I only needed to clean out the wet spots every two days or so and completely replaced the bedding every two weeks.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I left the pans for 2 weeks the waste would hit the wire. we would rather not eat the animals if they were living in their poop.
The wood pellets might be OK. I put the rabbit's waste in my garden, so I don't thing the baking soda would work.
I thought about garden lime, but was concerned my garden would end up with too much lime in it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Are you disenfecting the trays after you rinse them? I know you do have to be careful that what you use doesn't react with the ammonia! I use Vanodine to disenfect them, then I spray them with Nix to cut the odor. Now I can't tell you if it cuts down on the smell, since I have a terrible sense of smell and can't really smell it unless it REECKS! For some reason I can't get anyone to smell the trays afterwards....

I did see that you could put something in the water to cut the smell, but don't remeber what that was, vanilla maybe?

Dawn

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
The baking soda or the ground limestone should be neutralized by the ammonia in the urine, so I don't think you would be harming your soil. At least, that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can add about a half dozen drops of liquid Yucca extract to a gallon of the rabbits drinking water. Some of the pellet companies are incorporating this Yucca into their feed to cut down the production of ammonia. I have tried both and seem to take the edge off but does not completely remove it. It is worse in the heat of summer too. I have also read about the pure vanilla extract in their drinking water as well but it is recommended to get the type that does not have alcohol in it ... don't want those bucks getting drunk and breeding with the ugly does at closing time I guess.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Pine shavings work great. They just have to be changed at least once a week. Mine are in a small room and have to be done everyother day. After that they start to smell.

Carisa

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
I mix sawdust and peat moss in my trays--works great for me. and I put the used stuff directly on the garden for now. Last winter, when I had everyone in the trailer, I had a cup of "Stall Dry" in the mix, as well--Stall Dry is basically DE and clay-- I had no odor issues--

Now, everyone is in hanging cages, and droppings are falling right to the ground. What a relief!!!

Terry W

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Dh said I could use his thickness plainer and some scrap wood to make pine shavings.
Once I get it set up it will only take a few minutes per week to make them.
I have a 50 pound bag of Diamacious Earth, could I mix some of that with the shavings? Don't want to cause respitory problems, but there is a few flies in there as well.

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
BalloonMountain said:
I have also read about the pure vanilla extract in their drinking water as well but it is recommended to get the type that does not have alcohol in it ... don't want those bucks getting drunk and breeding with the ugly does at closing time I guess.

ROTFL!!

Pony!

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
Yeah, that would be gross! My brain was off...we did completely change things every 2 weeks, but I scooped out a bit out every other day so there was almost no buildup.

I definitely prefer hanging cages! :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.