Amish/Mennonoite bulk stores

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by amyd, Sep 22, 2005.

1. amyd

amyd Well-Known Member

Every once in a while I will see someone mention going to one of these. The closest one to me is a couple of hours away so I only get to go a couple of times a a year. Since they dont advertise heavily :rolleyes: I thought we could make a list of the ones we know of.

Here's mine:

Weaver's Market, Versailles, MO

2. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

We have one in Kolana Iowa.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Glenn's Bulk Foods, Pleasantview, KS just west of Hutchinson, KS.

Name of store???? Galva, Kansas, last building on the righthand side of the road as you head east out of town. A little bakery shop that is adding bulk foods as profits permit. Oh, I think the name is Emma Lou's.

4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

:nana: You took mine! LOL! I was just there in August and this store is SO AWESOME! I've been rationing out the log of butter we got there.

Another good one is Zimmerman's in Rutledge, MO. Too far for me to go very often but I really like it. Any in E. Central MO?

Good idea!

Nance

5. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

6. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Yoder's Madison VA.

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

E & S, Shipshewanna, Indiana

8. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Hornungs, Lykens, PA

9. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I drive up to Martins Farm Market in Hagerstown, Md every 2-3 months. I know there are some in Harrisonburg, Va and Shippensburg, Pa has Hillside and Dutch something or other right off Rt 81. These 2 are Horse and Buggy Mennonite stores. I see someone mentioned Yoders in Madison, Va. My dd used to live near there when she worked at Mt. View Nursing Home in Aroda. Va while going to college in Charlottesville. That's a very nice store.

10. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Hey Lynpea! Where is this one? I live near Madison (I'm in Greene County) and I didn't know there was one there.

There's also one in Stuart's Draft VA, I don't know the name but here are directions from I-64: Go past VA Art Center, you're on Rt 340, into Stuart'sDraft. Turn right on Rt 608 - Exxon, bank, church, etc. - go a mile or so, Cheese Shop on right.

11. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member

Oh, my.

An Amish bulk store? What are they like?

I visited a sams club out here, but I decided that we really didn't NEED a bulk supplier of chocolate covered pretzels and corn dogs!

Do the Amish/Mennonite stores have a different selection?

I live just west of the KAnsas City, Kansas area if anyone knows of any local stores. I suspect not, though. There are only a few Mennonite in the area.

12. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Monterey and Crossville, TN. Rita

13. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

Terri--you said it!!
    Does anyone know of a store in central Kentucky?
    Cider

14. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Penn Yan, NY has a bunch but this is my favorite: http://www.oakhillbulkfoods.com/

Sauders in Seneca Falls, NY is second favorite only because it is too far for me to get to regularly.

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

About 3 miles north and 4 miles east of Clare, MI. Take the north US-127 Clare exit, go north on Old 27 to Beaverton Rd, make a right and continue east for a couple miles until you see the sign. Pine Valley Country Store. I was just there yesterday. :)

16. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

Dutch Maid Bulk Foods, between Savannah and St. Joseph, MO, on 71 highway. I love this store. I buy all my spices, whole wheat flour, grains, pastas, and beans, etc. here. They have very good prices. There is also one located in Jamesport, MO, but it is a 2 hour drive from me, so I haven't been to it much. Can't remember what it is called, but it is run by an Amish family.

Winona :goodjob:

17. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

for any one in Michigan there is one in Mio called Country Corners Bulk food and they have bent and dent store in the back I love this place :goodjob:

18. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

In Pa, but worth the drive once a month or so is B&B's in Quarreyville: down the road is Goods, it reminds me of Woolworths. There is a regular grocery store called Mussler's in Buck and then there is D&K's in Red Line on the other side of the river, not Amish run but they have really good lunchmeats all around $3 a pound. Plus there is an Amish run hardware store in between, Holtwood Supply, where I buy feed and usually save at least $2.00 a bag compared to here in Harford county.

19. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Terri, because I too was unaware of these phenoms, I did a google search and found Diane’s local store. The town has a website promoting the local crafts, foods and such.

http://www.shipshewana.com/

Cider, I also live in central Kentucky and when I purchased my place I spoke to the realtors about the local Amish and Mennonites. As it turns out most of the Amish have left due to the increased land costs. There is a small community in northern Kentucky in which some have come over from southern Ohio. Either way, my search shows no such store in Kentucky, but several in Ohio.

20. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Ada's General Store. Sommerville, TN approx 20-25 miles east of Memphis