Amish Huck Finns...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tinetine'sgoat, Dec 20, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We are thankful that this turned out so well, but in another way it is funny to me. There were two little amish boys from a town near here who turned up missing yesterday. Well, turns out they had run away from home because they wanted to walk to the Mississippi and then come back. They didn't make it, in fact ended up going 15 miles and not in the right direction, cause 15 miles in the right direction would have ended them up at the MIssissippi. They slept in a barn last night and told the police that they waved at the helicopters and trucks they saw along the way. A lady saw them walking through a field and told them everyone was looking for them and to get in the car. They were given milk and cookies at the police station and were on their way back home. One of their mothers seems to think they did it because they had a Christmas program at school and they hated doing them. I'm sure with little or no contact with the outside world that they have no concept of the efforts that are put in to search for missing children. They were on the news stations, helicoptors, search teams... and all cause they wanted to see the Mississippi. I'm sure there is probably two little boys having a serious meeting with some elders tonight and maybe a sore bottom to boot. :hobbyhors

2. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Well after all that, I hope those poor boys get to see the MessySloppy river! They are just kids!

3. tinetine'sgoat

Makes you wanna drive down there and take them over to have a look! :)

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Makes me never want to ask directions from Amish kids... ;) LOL.

5. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

Betcha there's more than one curmudgeon in America who wants to see the parents billed for the search.................

6. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Well after all of that, I hope someone takes them and their family to see the Mississippi!!
    tinetine'sgoat--- what are you doing tomorrow?? :)

7. tinetine'sgoat

I was just kiddin' about the Huck Finn thing, and this morning on the news they said that the boys had just finished reading a Mark Twain novel in school and they wanted to have an adventure. Silly boys, I hope they have one!! I think the youthful sweetness of it is wonderful actually. All of the "modern" kids think an adventure is the newest x-box game.

8. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I was watching this story progress as well. I'd be willing to be there was a wee bit of a "talk" with the boys when they got home, LOL.

Here they think they're out for an adventure and the whole world goes looking for them. News helicopters, reporters, all day TV coverage, I got a chuckle out of the Sheriff on TV last night. When the reporters asked if the boys had been told about "all the commotion they had caused" The Sheriff, trying to keep a straight face, cocked an eybrow at the media and said "well, no we didn't discuss that with the boys. It wasn't US that caused all the commotion". :cute: Wonder if the media got the hint???

9. Tonya

Tonya Guest

Anyone else thinking that Mart Twain is up there having a big belly laugh about this one?

10. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

When I was three and my sisters were four and eight, we had an adventure. I really do not remember it well, but I have heard about it so frequently over the years, that it is gospel.

On an afternoon in late April, 1948, my mother left my big sister in charge of us little ones and went "to the store." Once she was gone, my big sister decided that we needed a walk. She took us on a two, two and a half mile walk.

My Dad was an attorney and was in a murder trial that day when at about 3:30 Judge Curtis called Counsel to the bench. "Do you know where Betty (my mother) might be?" When Dad said she should be home with the kids, the Judge recessed the proceedings and instructed my Dad to go with the Social worker to get "your kids." It seems that we had been "apprehended" in the stall of a Derby hopeful at Churchill Downs, making nice with the horsey. I guess my Mom had come home and found us gone and she, who did not drive, started wandering the neighborhood looking for us. "They can't have gone far, I was just gone a few minutes." When the social worker tried to call Mom, there was no answer. We had just gotten a private line, so the party line was of no assistance in running her down. (Who remembers party lines? They were the glue of neighborhoods and the conscience of inappropriate telephone solicitations.) I have always wondered if the "horsey" was Citation.

I have a feeling that the Amish boys will be in far more trouble for ditching school than for taking their hike. After all, the boys described by Mark Twain were not always good boys; but they were always good at being boys. So were these boys.

11. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

:) Boys will be boys :) Glad they were found their parents must have been worried sick.

12. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Mark Twain!!!!!!!!! In a school...........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. By the time Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the ACLU, librarians against classic literature, racists against racism, green peace (lord knows they'll show up to protest anything), and a couple of college guys looking to pick up women show up and finish with the school the only book left will be lefty louie posting the line on how long till the school will be allowed to reopen after the completion of sensitivity training. Mark Twain indeed. What's next? Teaching the kids how to make change? Count without using their fingers? Phonics? Pledging allegience? Just where will it end?

13. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Farmer Willy, I don't quite get your message. You like Twain or no? Sort of a confusing message there.

Warmly,

Pat

14. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

Farmer Willy. These boys are Amish. They more than likely attend an Amish school. Twain is, I am sure, still welcome in those "backward" libraries.

15. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I would say he likes twain enough, just not PCness.

16. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

:D My thoughts exactly!! That is a sweet story! I LOVED Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer as a kid... I hope the outcome won't deter them from wanting to explore the world in the future!