Amish Farm house design

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 21, 2004.

1. Hi all,

In the NW corner of PA (Warren County), and I'm looking for land here to homestead (just got divorced, and starting over). I was wondering if anyone knew of a place for plans of Amish homes. They are always so simple and open. Want to get rid of enough 'junk' to make my place (when I get it) like theirs.

Any ideas?

Cyndi in NW PA

2. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

There is a book called Amish Houses and Barns. I dont know if it would have actually plans in it though. Its on my to do list to read.
    Amish Houses & Barns

3. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

I have this book. It has only four layouts for historic Amish homes, none with actual dimensions. Very few inside photos.

4. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Do you know of a better book then by chance? I would love to read one with more pictures and ideas than what you said this book has. Was also interested in their smaller buildings, like barns, coops, sheds, cellars, etc

5. anOldTroll

anOldTroll Well-Known Member

sometimes the amish open their farms up for tours, find out and go.... get to know the people and maybe they can help you with your quest... they are very good folks and some of them do construction jobs and might be able to build your dream house for you

good luck

6. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I saw 2 Amish farms for sale in Ky, if maybe you're interested in that area. It was on www.unitedcountry.com, I don't remember what area.