amino acid content of feed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've been searching for a chart showing the various amino acid levels for different feeds, particularly grains and legumes. Does anyone know of a website with the info I need?

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Your best bet would be to look at protein content.....that's where the amino acids come from...then you can look at any biochem text or protein textbook and determine the common ratios of amino acids in proteins.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Well, actually it's vice versa. :nerd:

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I guess that would depend on the perspective......amino acids in my diet come from proteins in what I eat....which are of course made out of amino acids the organism I am consuming gained from their diet or de novo synthesis in some cases then converted to protein....some come from myself as my digestive enzymes are themselves digested into their amino acid consituents....around and around we go!

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm just recycling that "building blocks of life" bit I learned in high school like a good little monkey... :monkey:

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Different grains and legumes have different levels of essential amino acids. I want to get the best balance for my birds.

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Birds have a very different digetive process than humans and amino acids are not important for healthy birds - protein levels make the difference both high and low - they need a medium level to grow from chick to 5-6 months and a high level boost to kick in the egg laying process and drop back a bit for continued egg count and health. Talk to the folks where you will be getting your feed/grains. It's their business to produce a good product and advise folks properly. In REALLY cold winter climates birds get much more corn than a bird in a more temperant climate - corn = high protein = body heat.
    OOPS, sorry - I just noticed your tag line! You already know this!