American

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

The "where do black homesteaders question" really saddened me. Like others, I find it sad that the question needs to be asked, or that it's an issue. I do understand that it is though.

Today I was working on arrangements to have a muslim customer show up at my Amish processor to bless chickens as they are slaughtered. I can picture this in my mind....me, a white, completely non-religious, woman, handing off chickens to the amish guy while the muslim guy says his prayer thing.

I think that is the way it ought to be. Everyone working together to get everyone's needs met. The muslim guy needs to bless his chickens, I need to sell them, the amish guy needs to process them.

Cool.

Jena

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Jena, I struggled with weather or not to post the queation. I love this site and all the people on it. I met my best friend on this site and she and i are closer than my own sister and I. It doesn't matter if we don't share the same race. Maybe I'm naive, but I thought that if you treat people right, they treat you right. But that just isn't the case. When I went to Maynardville a few weeks ago and got such a chilly reception, I started worrying about our safety in certain areas. I know that rural communities can be clanish until they get to know you, but I don't won't to get Klanish people. The Yellville, AR area sounds so nice. I would love the festivals, the pickin'. I love bluegrass (makes me an oddity it seems with other black folks, but I don't care. I like what I like). But I checked the demographics and there was not 1 black person in the area. That might be a little much. I don't know if I would like to be somewhere where there is absolutely no one who looks like me. And my girls are getting to dating age. I would prefer that they date and marry black men, but what if none are around. I would like an area where there is real community, not just people patronizing us. My neighbor behind us in our old house was wonderful. We were the only black family in the neighborhood (but other blacks in the town). We gave her eggs, she shared veggies from her garden. She put my goats up (more than once) when they got out and into her garden. SHe called at 2:00 am one morning for my exDH to come over because she heard a noise and got frightened. He was there in a snap. She cried when we told her we had to leave. That's the kind of neighbors I'd like to have again. We'd chat over the hedgerow, help when needed, watch out for each other. I sure miss Memaw and Pepaw. My daughter (16) said last night, "you know, sometimes it's good to be white. Then you don't have to give a second thought to some things." True observation. Sad observation. In 2004, how much has changed. Maybe not enough. But we press on. I've "met" so many nice people here. They restore my faith in America.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Sancraft.. go live where you will be HAPPY!! As for your daughters and dating.. the internet is so prevalent...

We live way out in the middle of nowhere, and rednecks weren't my 20 yo daughter's type! :) She had friends online for 3-4 years, then actually met, 'dated' kind of online, visited a few times and now has a wonderful, tall, quite handsome English hubby!

That may sound scarey.. but where there's a will.. there's a way.. and besides.. I never had to worry much about her.. where she was, etc. Cause she was in the house!!

It just depends on YOU and how friendly YOU are.

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Perspective, perspective, perspective. Thanks Jena. I'm going to call on that AR property tomorrow. I love it already. I've been dreaming about it.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hope your dreams come true. You certainly deserve it, if anybody does.
    Kim

6. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

I agree and understand. We often like to believe that such problems are behind us, but they simply are not, though they have improved. I am your average white male, so often don't think about such things, but when I bought my farm it was brought boldly to mind. My farm is in a little mountain community or about 300. My niece recently separated from her husband, a native a Zimbabwe. My wife and I were considering offering to let her and our three godchildren move to the property to help them, and us while we had to be in town during the week. Suddenly we realized we had not seen a single, non-European in town, so are very reluctant to press the issue with her. I don't care what people think of me, but what do you tell a 6 year old when she wants to know why there is no one around that looks like her. I have since learned that there is one black family in town, and two mixed children adopted into another family that are fully accepted in the community, however if a Hispanic or a member of one of the near by tribe starts looking at property it results in a lot of stares and whispers, often quite load whispers. It truly saddens me that this continues, but in smaller communities it only takes a few bad apples to effect the attitude of the whole community. All I can say is that I have seen attitudes greatly change in the 45 years I've been around. I just hope our current world conditions don't push things back in the other direction with hatred based on race and religion. We can only hope and pray. I feel for our predicament specifically, and hope for all of our futures.

7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Sandra
    about the girls - remember college and jobs and all the other adventures that stand a very good chance of happening BEFORE they are married.

Just as my girls have not done what I expected, your's probably will not either.
    They present us with incredible surprises... just hang on for the ride.

And YOU call for that piece of land, and let me know. I think it's an outstanding piece. I like Arkansas also..... you know me, I'm always looking and putting real estate shots in webshots for looking at at work and home.

Follow your dream. The girls will do fine and make you proud and live THEIR life. You go ahead and live yours.

Huggs'

AngieM2

PS;;; It's strange, I met my best friend off this site also. :)

8. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Sancraft. Move next door to me. There are very few blacks in vt but, the vermonters themselves are not very prejudice. Altho we do mannage to dislike each other on a one to one basis. Southern vt has lots of job opertunities as does the northern city of burlington. Its wherever you can make you and your family happy. I do have one little problem with your post.Why does there need to be black boys available for your daughters to find a date? My son is 18 he is white and if he dated your daughter i would'nt have a problem. Would you?

9. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

San, yOu sound like you could make a go of it wherever you choose to live. You raised some very thought-provoking questions. Our community in N. Indiana is changing rapidly, adding Hispanic, Iraqi and Russian immigrants and your comments made me wonder if they feel isolated at times.

ann

10. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

I have to stick my nose in here. On the surface this seems a reasonable question however, lets look at the results of what would actually happen. My nephew wears his heritage more obviously on his skin than the rest of us. He is accepted by neither group. He is ostracized by both groups. When he lived with us, I could tell if I would like a person or not based on how they treated this innocent child. It was ugly in many cases.

Yes, I was probably hyper-sensitive to it. My oldest son who is the same age as his cousin was not treated they way they treated my nephew because my son had an irish descendant father and he looks completely white. When they would go places together (the park one block from our house) the kids threatened them because to those kids he was denying his black heritage by hanging out with whites. When they would go places which were primarily white, the looks and stares were painful. Until the world really changes, this is not a good place for those children. I can't really speak for Sancraft but, I can imagine that perhaps she may not want her grand-children to suffer this.

11. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Sancraft, I'd like to tell you that my area in NC would be a good area, but I was recently reminded of how things still haven't changed...

Abel is a Mexican man that helps my husband. (He doesn't call himself "Hispanic." He's from Mexico. He's Mexican. And he's proud of it.) Anyway, he & Charles had gone to a tractor dealership up in Virginia to get a part, and on the way back they crossed a bridge over Kerr Lake (or Buggs Island Lake, as they call it in VA). He asked Charles, "Where do you take the little house?" (Meaning, our camper) So Charles drove by the campground where we usually go, and pointed it out to him. Abel noticed a swimming area, and asked was it OK for HIM to go there? Charles told him, yeah, you pay a few dollars and you can swim for the day. But then it struck him cold, by the way Abel asked the question--he must have tried to go swimming at one of the recreation areas and been turned away. Makes you sad and mad, all at the same time.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I sat here and wrote a book on the subject...then deleted it.

Racial prejudice stinks. It comes from all races toward all the other races. No one is exempt. Everyone should be.

When my kids were growing up, I explained to them that everyone was a different shade of brown. No 'white' or 'black', just different shades of brown. And that can change with the sun, no matter how dark you were to start with.

I've a black friend at school who wants to homestead when she graduates, and she's got kids, too. It made me wonder what she's going to do, and where she's going to go. And she's one of the smartest, sweetest women I have ever met.

Now I'm depressed.

Meg :(

13. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Sancraft, you sound like somebody who would make a great neighbor and friend and I think you will find what you are looking for but I don't think its going to be Northern Arkansas. I know this is a beautiful place and I've been mulling the idea over myself but be aware that there are areas there that will not welcome blacks and might even be hostile. I think this racism stuff is totally related to IQ and if your IQ doesn't at least match your age, you can come up with all kinds of reasons not to like and accept people that are different than you.
    I live in Mississippi and we carry a heavy ball and chain around our necks for our reputation of segregation in the past and the acts of a few rednecks including politicians that did not have an IQ that matched their age. I don't know what its going to take to get the message accross but Mississippi is a different place today and I think blacks have more opportunities here than a lot of other places in the US that are considered to be more liberal. I've seen on TV where a lot of blacks that left the South in the 50's and 60's, went North for good jobs are coming back, especially around Atlanta but the odd thing is they have choosen to form all black communities. There are some very upscale all black urban areas around Atlanta today.
    I don't think most people understand discrimination, you have to experience it to really see the evil that it is. I had something happen to me that gave me a small glimpse of what blacks have gone through and I can tell you I didn't like it. I was living in a small MS Delta town and American Legion had a little club house on a lake, we would go there just to shoot the bull and drink beer,etc. I was there one day when the subject came up about blacks and I made the statement that if I was black, went off to war and risked my life for this country and then was not welcome to join any American Legion post I wanted to that I would probable become very hostile, well all hell broke loose and and I was lucky to get out of there with my life. I saw one of the people who was upset by my statement later on the street and I've never experienced such hatred toward me. This experience really opened my eyes and I've been a different person ever since. Also, and you might not believe this but I seldom ever hear the N word anymore and on occasion when it is spoken you can see the disgust in people's faces that do have an IQ higher than their age.
    I wish I had some property to offer you or knew where some was, you would be an asset to any community. Good luck to you.